QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

PININ GDI ENGINE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Pinin & Jnr discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reginald baxter

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:46    Post subject: PININ GDI ENGINE Reply with quote

I WANT TO FIT MY ENGINE IN TO A BOAT, MOST SENSOR WILL BE NULL AND VOID IS IT POSSABLE IF SO HOW?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt if you're going to find many forum members with experience of marinised Pinin GDI engines! But who knows, I could be wrong.  Laughing

Why will most of the sensors be 'null and void'? Can't you leave them in and fit the engine ECU somewhere in the engine space?
joe 90

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd really want to put a diesel engine into a boat rather than a petrol one.
That said, take out the engine along with the computer and fuel system.

Most marine engines are modified with heat exchangers to cool both the exhaust and the engine itself.
reginald baxter

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 14:45    Post subject: pinin gdi engine into boat. Reply with quote

you lads are missing the point,i know a diesel engine are best but only petrol at the jetty and at 88years its some jod getting fuel,gas,and food on board from my dingy so the petrol engine is the answer, i can go along side fo fuel and load stores and people with ease, gdi is all ready to fit into boat, but the car computer is the big problem,no abs no traction control,no cat: what can be done?
Simon_W

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 22:19    Post subject: Re: pinin gdi engine into boat. Reply with quote

reginald baxter wrote:
you lads are missing the point,i know a diesel engine are best but only petrol at the jetty and at 88years its some jod getting fuel,gas,and food on board from my dingy so the petrol engine is the answer, i can go along side fo fuel and load stores and people with ease, gdi is all ready to fit into boat, but the car computer is the big problem,no abs no traction control,no cat: what can be done?

Who is missing the point? It wasn't me that suggested that you need a diesel Smile.  I've got quite a lot of experience of petrol boats - which includes rescuing some folks who's petrol boat had caught fire in a big way.

Most modern vehicles have two ECUs. A 'body' ECU that controls functions like traction control and and engine ECU that controls just that. So simply take out the engine ECU together with the engine and fit it to your boat. Does the cat have a sensor that feeds into the engine ECU? If it doesn't, you've got no problems. If it does, test for its normal value and then replace it with simple electronic components to mimic it when it's working normally.

This could be a bigger project than you expect it to be. As Joe 9O wrote, you're going to need a heat exchanger and also most marinised engines have water injection into the exhaust to cool it enough to go through rubber exhaust hose. I would think you're going to need a reduction gearbox too, unless you're using a outdrive.
Hillbillypop

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

It intrigue's me why an 87 year old man would want to give himself a nightmare when he could pick up a pre ECU engine that would give him a better outcome.
I did a transit 2.5 turbo into a 19' Stewart Stevens which took it up on the plane no problem marinising it was straight forward as most parts were easy to get Without knowing the type of boat you have I couldn't comment any further
hutchy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

when my mate did his bayliner model we just dropped the old ford pinto engine in there....like joe said earlier the exhaust had a water cooled system on it....no ecu just the good old points and plugs..which can be easily fetled with a timing strobe...and we also fitted a set of stromberg carbs from a rover v8 to a custom made adaptor plate.....the whole set up worked well,so well someone offered him double to what he paid for it,so he snatched the guy,s hand off Wink
Hillbillypop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing you need to make sure assuming you get the engine fitted is the air flow meter on the air intake it needs to be there  without that it would be greatly under powered you don't say wether it's the 1.8 or the 2 ltr what size of boat is it where you going to sail it? I assume your scrapping the pinin so strip all the wiring out of it you'll need it also the ecu is mounted in the engine bay fuse box and it has a lot of connections I pulled mine at the weekend for a nosey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Pinin & Jnr discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: