2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

DIY spray painting

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Other vehicles technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 14:45    Post subject: DIY spray painting Reply with quote

I am attempting a 'rattle can' paint repair job on the rear wheel arches of my Mercedes. There were a few rust bubbles that I wanted to fix before they got worse. It's metallic silver, with a clear coat over. I'm working to a crease line in the wheel arch, so I am planning on making the new paint blend in on the crease which should minimise any small colour difference.

I've de-rusted, primed, filled, and smoothed off the repair. The final abrasive paper I used was 3000 grade, which has left a matt finish on the surrounding clear coat. If I apply a damp rag to the matt finish, it glosses over instantly. There are no deep scratches at all.

So two questions for anyone with experience of this type of project:

1. Do I need to polish the matt finish out of the clear coat before putting the new metallic paint and clear coat on? In other words, will the new clearcoat hide the matt finish?

2. Should I rub down the metallic finish before applying the clear coat, or is it best to leave it as it as sprayed?

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 14:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

The matt finish is what "keys" the new paint onto the old paint.

My dad used to call it "flatting off" and did it to every car he was repainting - and he did dozens because he had his own repairs garage.

I wouldn't flat off the metallic base coat before putting on the clearcoat - but some people do.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Pete! That's exactly what I wanted to hear.  Very Happy

I'm really pleased with what I've done so far and didn't want to screw it up with the final finish. This is could be heading for my first-ever decent DIY car paint job. I've never had enough patience in the past.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love spray painting - I find it very satisfying to make something look like new. It does help to have patience with it though  Very Happy
h4rri

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to love spraying then I attempted to colour change a car and it was a disaster Sad Rattle cans are a pleasure to use though and you can get great results if you take your time.

My top tip is take your time, don't be tempted to rush anything and when it's had enough paint, stop. There's always the next day and getting a run out because you wanted to pop another coat on takes ages Sad

Good luck Smile
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
It does help to have patience with it though  Very Happy

h4rri wrote:
My top tip is take your time, don't be tempted to rush anything and when it's had enough paint, stop. There's always the next day and getting a run out because you wanted to pop another coat on takes ages Sad

Good luck Smile

Thanks guys! I shall do my very best to make sure that impatience doesn't get the better of me.  Wink
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've still got the scuffs on the bumper corners to do on mine - previous owner obviously couldn't drive such a big vehicle.

I have got a HVLP spray gun LIKE THIS which is better than rattle cans - I find the paint is too thin from an aerosol.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
I have got a HVLP spray gun LIKE THIS which is better than rattle cans - I find the paint is too thin from an aerosol.

Rattle cans win on convenience though. But thanks for the tip and link for the HVLP sprayer.

Many years ago I used a Burgess electric sprayer to change the colour of a Series 1 Land Rover. The result was monumental 'orange peel' that looked more like elephant skin!  Rolling Eyes
h4rri

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use HVLP from a compressor fed gun and a couple of smart repair guns.

They are great but use a lot more paint and they are more difficult to control unless you are comfortable with them.

A lot of the issues I experienced were due to spraying on the drive though Sad

I still prefer the control of a rattle can for smaller repairs. Less hassle mixing paint and cleaning gear afterwards too Smile
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - the drive is not the best place - and why does every insect want to walk on the wet paint??
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the problems for me is how to blend the paint across a panel. If you use masking tape you will always see the line, and if you don't then the overspray looks a mess and seems to get larger and larger.

A mate of mine is a modeller and does a lot of painting. I was explaining the problem to him, and he said that modellers use a piece of cardboard held away from the actual piece to act as a paint shield. So there's a kind of shadow effect at the edge of the sprayed area. As with camouflage, for example.

Something like this:

I've cut a large piece of cardboard out to match the shape of the wheelarch, and will space it off the bodywork with some foam pads. I've done some experimentation, and so far so good.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to just "mist" it over any joins between paint - although the cardboard idea would work.

Best if you can finish the paint at a panel joint - but that is more time, more work and more paint.
The procrastinator

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
One of the problems for me is how to blend the paint across a panel. If you use masking tape you will always see the line, and if you don't then the overspray looks a mess and seems to get larger and larger.

A mate of mine is a modeller and does a lot of painting. I was explaining the problem to him, and he said that modellers use a piece of cardboard held away from the actual piece to act as a paint shield. So there's a kind of shadow effect at the edge of the sprayed area. As with camouflage, for example.

Something like this:

I've cut a large piece of cardboard out to match the shape of the wheelarch, and will space it off the bodywork with some foam pads. I've done some experimentation, and so far so good.

There is also a slight variation on this technique by using 'paracord' or similar tucked under window rubbers to allow the paint to creep under
mick_n3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:

Something like this:

Do a similar thing but use masking tape, get 2 inch tape mask of but only apply the very edge then roll it over on it's self so you have some of the adhesive side exposed, it then creates the same sort of shield.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

The method has worked really well on the wheel arches, where there's a natural crease to hide the paint change.

I've also been experimenting with a hole cut in a piece of cardboard and spraying through that to restrict the amount of overspray. So far, so good.  Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Other vehicles technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: