Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

second fuel tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
destroyityourself

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 18:32    Post subject: second fuel tank Reply with quote

anyone here fitted a second tank to run 100% veg oil, interested to see whats involved, the setup for switching from diesel to veg oil and what was used to head veg oil..
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 18:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vijay's got a twin-tank setup on his 2.8 Challenger. I've given him a heads-up to your post.
vijay

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

Look up Pollak or Tecalemit valve (I've been using a 6 port Pollak for a while now). Basically it allows you to divert the flow and return lines to 2 seperate tanks from a switch on your dash.

To heat the veg you use a flat plate heat exchanger (you can use the type from domestic boilers as long as they have threaded fittings or I can give you details of ones made for connecting inton a veg system although more expensive). That gets plumbed into your cooling system.

Don't waste your money on the heaters that basically use a glowplug - they are useless from what I've heard.
destroyityourself

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers simon

vijay- this one  https://www.oilybits.com/bio-fuel-equipment/valves-all-types-/fuel-tank-selector/pollak-6-port-fuel-selector-valve-with-switch/prod_390.html

doesnt seem to expensive at £56

having a search on the heat exchanger at the moment, if you could add information for the other would be appreciated.

what did you use for fuel tank, any pictures and where you fitted it?
vijay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that's the one. Sadly his shipping is a little expensive as he only uses one service and probably plus VAT - but he's a very nice bloke to buy from!

FHPE from a boiler http://www.ebay.com/itm/131631273104  and ones with ports http://www.biotuning.co.uk/ShopHeatExchangers.htm

I used a marine outboard tank. I made mine removable with quick release connectors but would be easier if you used a spare wheel container if you can
destroyityourself

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure what you mean with the spare wheel carrier, would you mind posting pictures of setup or emailing?
vijay

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the spare wheel on the back or underneath??  I was thinking something like this which you'd have to make sure could hold diesel http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lpg-Gas-Doughnut-Tank-Range-Rover-Classic-/111809800812?hash=item1a08622a6c:g:c18AAOSwl9BWMo1K

Do you want to use your main tank or the auxilary tank for veg?
destroyityourself

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its on the back mate, dont fancy having a fuel tank on the boot door.

I was thinking about that the other day, if its going to be running on veg oil all the time, it might be better if the main tank was for veg oil and the second tank for diesel starting/turning engine off..

What evers easiest mate, want to try keep it simple as possible

If you dont mind, how much did you spend on the setup?
vijay

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the way most do it, main tank is for veg. I didn't though cos I wanted to make my veg tank removable mainly for winter. Are you planning to use new or used veg oil?

I probably spent £4-500 but the quick replease connectors cost me near £200 and I also went for quite expensive clear wired hose from oilybits.
destroyityourself

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

id like to get used and filter it, finding a good supply isnt easy... i deliever for a chinese and the *beep* wont give me it lol.. ill use new stuff aswell if needed, 20 litres at costco is still cheaper than diesel

i was hoping to spend £200 max to get it up and running first.
vijay

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why you couldn't get a good twin tank setup for £200.

Getting waste oil is easier than it was a few years ago but you still have to ask plenty of places before you get one - but worth it Smile

This place will give you all the info you need for veg filtering and the guys on there are really helpful Smile http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/mybbforum/index.php
Jowter
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go back a page there's a twin tank post I put up a while back. You might glean some info off it - the images are no longer showing and there's no Edit function to repair them  Rolling Eyes
At the moment with fuel prices low and no sign of a big rise any time soon then shop-bought svo isn't much cheaper than diesel but if you can source waste veg oil then do it.
Jowter
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've managed to get into my old pc and reload the images to the server, hence why they're now all showing - see previous post.

She still runs smoother when I switch onto diesel after running svo for a while ???
Onalla

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 separate tanks feeding my main engine and I made up a twin 4 way valve (1 for each tank and off) for feed and return
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: