eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

tv to wireless network

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Computer bytes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:40    Post subject: tv to wireless network Reply with quote

I have a LG led TV. Not sure of the model # but it has HDMI ports and a USB port.
What would I need and how do I go about connecting it to my wireless network. Oh by the way my network is PW protected using both letters and Numbers.
Thanks in advance.
Len
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know for sure that the TV has got a Wireless adapter? Has it got an Ethernet port?

Best thing to do is to look at the rear of the TV and get the model #. Then search for the user manual online. I expect that LG do them in pdf format.
4x4traveller

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also what do you hope to achieve once it is connected? do you want to watch movies from your other pc? browse the web or netflix?  

just connecting the tv to the internet might not necessarily achieve any of these things.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sony has an ethernet port that I connected to a spare port on my wireless router.

It allows me to "see" the TV on the network and I can send stuff like photos and videos to the TV screen.

... not very useful to be honest.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
My Sony has an ethernet port that I connected to a spare port on my wireless router.

It allows me to "see" the TV on the network and I can send stuff like photos and videos to the TV screen.

... not very useful to be honest.

The newer 'smart TVs' are brilliant. We bought a Panasonic one last year, and that gives catch-up TV via the programme guide. So all you need to do is to scroll back until you find what you want, and then you can watch it just as if it's being broadcast. Genius! Except we hardly ever use it!  Laughing
skool

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have smart tvs everywhere , mostly connect by wifi but theres other options ie buy a "nowtv" box to get a bunch of films and sky etc as well as tv on demand stuff

netflix is also good if you can plug your tv into ethernet nd then ill drop one of them in a while and try amazon when top gear starts up

the nowtv boxes can be bought at discount often ofter from currys for £10-15 and come with 2 months movies or 3 months entertainment pack so are a good deal tbh when on offer
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours isn't a "smart tv" but connected to the router by ethernet cable it lets us watch Amazon and Netflix.

Everything else comes through Virgin cable.
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys Does not really solve my problem.
Smart TV's are only just becoming available here and are ridiculously expensive.
Where I am no cable TV available. Doubt that Now TV box or the other options are either.
I was just hoping that we could watch streamed movies on TV. in a different room to my PC.
AH ! This is one of the downsides of living in a 3rd world country, but the advantages are too many to give up.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you asked the right question.

Has your PC got an HDMI output? If so, you could connect the TV to the PC using that. You can get very long HDMI cables.
4x4traveller

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I do is use a raspberry pi.  

cost about £60 for the kit, connect it to the TV with HDMI, connect it to the network.  Downloaded OSMC as an operating system (super easy just put the sd card in your pc and it saves the OS to the card)  plug it all in and I can play movies, music, anything from my other PC, can also watch youtube videos on the tv, or if I spent some time to actually configure it properly can also find huge resources of online streamable questionably legal movies and tv.

fantastic device and tiny and silent too.  plus i can use the kodi remote app on my iphone to control it, can change the music from the toilet couldnt as for more!
vijay

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
I don't think you asked the right question.

Has your PC got an HDMI output? If so, you could connect the TV to the PC using that. You can get very long HDMI cables.

That's exactly what I do
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again folks. Simon I will investigate the availability here. Cant rely on the postal service to deliver, If ordered overseas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Computer bytes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: