QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Open Your Rear Door

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 18:25    Post subject: Open Your Rear Door Reply with quote

[i][i][i][i]Rear doors sticking handles or floppy handles are a common problem on the MK III meaning you cannot open them from the outside as the handle is stuck up or it just flops about.

Here is a walk through guide for those not familiar with curing it or those just needing to open there rear door.

Tools required are:

The toolkit screwdriver if you have it, or a PZ2 screwdriver.
Panel trim plug removal tool or larger flat screwdriver.
Penetrating oil spray.
Lubricating oil spray.

Clean out the rear of the vehicle and drop the seats (fold them fully up on LWB models) so you can climb inside to work.

Go to the rear and look under the plastic panel housing the number plate and door handle, spray the handle liberally with penetrating oil, if it frees and drops then hold it up as if you were opening the rear door and spray penetrating oil between the front edge of the handle and vehicle body, do not skimp and repeat a few times to ensure plenty gets up there, leave for 10 minutes to work.

Wipe your hands and climb into the rear of the vehicle with your tools, from now everything will assume you are sitting inside the vehicle facing the rear door.  

Look at the rear panel and it is in two pieces, the lower panel is the large lower panel covering most of the door, the rear screen panel is the much smaller upper panel going round the rear screen.

Open the vehicle tool set door using the large button which unscrews and is located on the right hand side of the lower panel. If the plastic tool holder is in you remove it by undoing the two top buttons, easing the top back towards you, then lifting it up as the bottom has two forks which sit into two slots. You have a rear door handle which is located in the centre of the vehicle and holds the centre of the top trim panel in, pull open the two tabs which are hinged and undo the screws and remove it; go down to the centre of the lower panel directly below the door handle and there is a screw, on LWB models you push your screwdriver through the mesh holding the headrests for the pop up seats, remove this screw.

[b]Remember the lower panel is stepped at the top and the upper trim panel sits over this step.[/b]

Go to the right hand lower corner of the upper trim panel where it meets the lower panel, push your large screwdriver or panel button removing tool between them and upwards, move it to your left and locate the upper trim panel and remove, go left again and remove the second trim panel clip, put your hand up the right hand side of the trim panel where it goes up the right hand side of the rear screen and pull, it will come away.

Pull the upper trim panel at its lower right hand side forwards and go over the top of it and down to the rear lower panel at its right hand side, put your screwdriver or panel clip removal tool down behind the right hand side of the panel and locate the trim panel clip and remove, the top corner of the trim panel will come forwards into the vehicle, put your hands behind the flange and ease forwards and the panel will come away, you need it unclipped down the right hand side and along the bottom to the middle of the panel.

Ease the upper trim panel forwards, hold, then ease the lower panel forwards until the stepped flange of the lower panel comes under the upper trim panel, sprag forwards and on the right hand side below the lower trim panel you will see a polythene sheet, remove it and it reveals a large square inspection hatch on the steel frame of the door.

From this point you have to be careful as there is the wiring for the rear washer, wiper, central locking, and screen heater there.

Turn right 90 degrees so you are looking out of the side of the vehicle, put your left arm down behind the lower trim panel and put your hand into the square hole, go upwards and right and you will feel the two control rods, one goes up and down and the other goes side to side; grab the one going side to side and pull to your left sharply, this will release the door mechanism and the door will open, so open the door. With the door open you go up from the bottom of the lower trim panel and into the square hole and spray penetrating oil upwards towards the door mechanism and leave for a couple of minutes, try your door handle and it should work now.

Leave for a couple more minutes to allow the propellant from the penetrating oil to evaporate and swap to lubricating oil, spray liberally around the inside of the door panel towards the door mechanism where it comes inside the rear door, and the locking mechanism to ensure they are fully lubricated, while you are inside the door panel spray some towards the bottom of the door for a little rustproofing, any surplus will run out of the drain holes, repeat spraying the locking mechanisms to ensure total lubrication.

Ease the trim panels forward and check no panel clips are stuck in the door, if they are then remove them and push them back into the trim panel slots; bear in mind they click into place as the slots in which they sit have a little flange, pull the upper trim panel forwards and ease the lower trim panel forwards and bang back into position, bang the top trim panel into position, refit the screw into the middle of the lower trim panel, refit the handle to hold the centre of the upper trim panel, slot the tool holder back into position and tighten the top buttons, close the tool holder door and clean up.

Time: should take a beginner 20-30 minutes to do the first time.  

[/i][/i][/i][/i]
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 18:25    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

VIKI

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that!  You are as usual most helpful with yours advices! 👍
GCMS2012

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did only the 'spray up past the outer handle' bit last year as it was starting to stick.

Might do the full strip and clean this time as it's starting to stick AGAIN!!!  Rolling Eyes

Is white grease ok to use though??
VIKI

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be fine, I was using a copper grease as don't have any white one around when was doing that Wink
assassin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any light spray grease will suffice.
GCMS2012

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Light' spray grease?

You seen the way white grease cans let it out??  Shocked

Usually all or nothing.  Rolling Eyes
assassin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, let it rip and you will rustproof the bottom of your door at the same time.
GCMS2012

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't think of it that way...  Embarassed  Embarassed  Embarassed
ginandtonic

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, just stumbled across this post, my back door won't open.

Soooo... first,  I tried the following advice: (from an old previous post, thank you Matt (noiseboy72)).

"  Unlock the door with the key. Locate the little hole under the handle and spray it with lots of WD40. Re-lock and Leave overnight. "

That did not work.

Sooo.... next step:

" Try the handle and see if it now works. If not, bang the outside door handle repeatedly, screaming "Open you BAS@?XXD" (Seriously it works ,.. Laughing ) "

Well, lo and behold, it worked!! , as it did also for other people!! Thank you mate...
SteveMilner

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too found myself in this situation last night.

Rubber mallet around the handle after dousing with silicone spray grease and it dropped enough to open it.

It required another walloping though to allow me to close the door again - It wouldn't catch.

It sort of seems to be OK now but I'm avoiding opening the door until I've enough time to do the job.

I'm putting it down to salt spray on the roads. I've done a fair chunk of motorway driving last week.

Assassin, do these instructions apply to the Mk 4 as well.

I'll probably be able to get the door open and not need to attack from the inside as I can feel the handle is in the right position and "tight" to allow it to catch and open the door.
assassin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Steve.
SteveMilner

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorted!

Thanks for the write up Assassin

The joys of WD40
Andrew.door

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:25    Post subject: Rear door jammed Reply with quote

So, following advice in above posts, I applied copious amounts of WD40 and waited an hour, plus short 2 mile drive. Rear door handle now working. Yay!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: