Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

please read 75/90????????

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suvvey

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 18:16    Post subject: please read 75/90???????? Reply with quote

I have replaced every service item on the list since getting my Paj 6 weeks ago apart from the LSD oil.

This is down to the fact that no where seems to sell it!! Apart from Mitsi and I 'aint made of money.

I asked at the parts desk in Halfords and was told that I could use synthetic 75-90 gear oil in LSD diffs. So I smiled politely and left as quickly as possible without seeming rude.

My next stop was a local shop that is well respected. I asked again as none on shelf and the chap came back with their reference book and looked it up. I was pleased to see it actually had a section on Pajero's as I don't know if the LSD is available on shoggies. There in black and white it said
'those fitted with LSDs synthetic 75w90 gear oil recomended'
He then got chatting about his imported Suburu which was fitted with a LSD and looked up what it said for his and once more it recommended 75w90.

I have seen posts about how the yanks mix 80w90 with an additive and decided that the newer synthetic oils must have replaced this. So I went with it and bought some.

Now here I am tonight about to drain the diff and my instincts just wont let me do it. I keep telling myself that these people know far moe than me and I did see it in the book in black and white. But the voices in my head are just too loud so I am seeking some QUALIFIED help.

Has anyone else used this or are there any mechanics out there who can either confirm or explain why I was told twice to use the stuff?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 18:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

markyd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mate

Did mine the other day, same problem LSD . Shocked

Filled mine up with comma hypoid diff gear oil EP 80 i believe. Seems to be okay. Did not get rid of the whine i have got, but feel better now oil has been changed. Very Happy
Doz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did mine the other day with 75/90 synthetic. Done about a 1000 klicks with no probs infact the diff does seem to work better than before but I don't know what oil was in it to start with.
Larchlap

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 22:36    Post subject: LSD Oil Reply with quote

I sourced the correct oil from my local Shell stockist, ring Shells main office and they have a book which they cross referance the oils, they where very helpfull.. Regards.. Vic.

If you are near to Norwich I could probaly find the number again?
vkrider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all of the 4x4s that I have owned over the past 20 or so years that include 2 Shoguns and 3 Pajeros, I have always filled the diffs with auto trans fluid. It was the industry standard many years ago for LSD and my diffs have always done their job fine without any problems.
Suvvey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:14    Post subject: Strange Reply with quote

Well this is strange isn't it?

After reading all the posts on lsd oil were it seems to be referred to as a specific oil labeled and and manufactured for use in LSDs only. But when it comes down to sourcing it, it seems everyone has used another lube that is recommended by other sources, whether it be ATF or synthetic hypoid. Shocked

I think I will need to do a bit more investigation before taking the plunge, just wanted to get it done as I have no idea of service history on the paj as I bought it straight off the dock and wanted everything out of it and replaced with fresh correct lubes.

Does anyone out there know the answer? The usual suspects on this forum seem conspicous in their abscense! I would feel a lot more confident if given the nod from one of the 'old hats' on here, although I do get the impression some may be just armchair grease monkeys Wink
Suvvey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 16:01    Post subject: ??? Reply with quote

After some searching I found that castrol DO do a oil packaged for LSDs but it is a GL-5, which is what I was recomended at the beginning of this thread even though the pack I bought doesn't mention slip diffs.
So does this mean bog standard GL-5 is suitable or is castrols LS gear oil a higher spec but still comes in as a GL-5??

Larchlap wot did shell come up with in the end? Did you buy direct from them or did they recomend a dealer?
Doz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

The valvoline synthetic gear oil I used was GL-5 so guess you are right back to the start Confused
sgtbash

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

I too have been contemplating changing the rear diff oil in my Paj for a couple of weeks, but have held off for the same reasons. (What to use?)
This topic has been covered many times on this site and if you do a search there are lots of threads on the subject. Unfortunatley there doesn't seem to be a definative answer other than use the Mitsi Daiqueen stuff, which is incredibly expensive.
One thing I'm sure of tho' is that a normal hypoid gear oil, without special addatives will damage your LSD.
I'm tempted to put Castrol Hypoy LS in mine, which is available from DEMON TWEEKS for about £18 for 5 litres. Check their website. This oil is specifically for use in LSD's so should be ok, but the jury is still out I'm afraid.
Cheers ...sgtbash...
pete2800

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my local Mitsi dealer quoted me $58 plus vat for 4.5lts of Daiqueen I checked around and found at my local motor factors Morris XEP90 API GL5 LSD and final drive oil at £12.50 for 5lts, and it says on the back of the can that its recommended by Mitsubishi....amongst others.
Works great...quiet and smooth now and no more jerking around tight bends after the importer had filled it with Hypoid 90 all round as part of his presales service....gahh !!
Check Morris Lubricants of Shrewsbury for dealers on 01743 232200 or go to their website at www.morrislubricants.co.uk
cheers
pete
Suvvey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 22:37    Post subject: An answer??? Reply with quote

I think pete's link may have actually contained the answer!

Lodexol XFS 80W/140 is a fully synthetic gear oil that has been formulated with high levels of extreme pressure (EP) additives and friction modifiers to protect the critical mechanisms of limited slip differentials. In addition to high load carrying capability, Lodexol XFS 80W/140 will protect against rust and corrosion and has a low foaming tendency. Shock loading occurs when one of the driven wheels looses traction and the differential locks redistributing the drive equally. Standard API GL5 gear oils are unable to cope with this extreme condition and therefore it necessary to use a proper limited slip differential oil to promote long component life.

Lodexol XFS 80W/140 is based on synthetic oil technology and will protect limited slip differentials fitted to high performance cars (including BMW, Morgan, TVR, Aston Martin) and motorsport models. Additionally this grade may be used in various other automotive, agricultural and heavy duty designs of limited slip differential or drive axle, where a SAE 80W/140, API GL5 lubricant is required.

So in english LSD oil is a GL-5 gear oil with extra extreme pressure additives added to cope with the shock loading found in LSDs.

Is this the first thread on this subject to have actually reached a conclusion??????? Or have I just realised wot everyone else already knew?

So now I have to find somewhere that sells the stuff.
daveh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:49    Post subject: 75/90 Reply with quote

Dont be so stingy guys , put the gen stuff in then you know its ok, its not if you change it every week, can leave it in 2t3 yrs unless you do want to do mud plugging..
rickladds
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I've been glad I haven't got an LSD! Very Happy
Richie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSD oil, normaly stock for Milners, defo stock at Demon Tweeks and without doubt a must for axles fitted with LSD, and I aint getting into any debates with everyone who has always used standard/other/a mate down the raod says, LSD means LSD oil, OK simple.

Have you seen the cost of a new LSD ? compared to cost of the correct oil.
Daryl Stephens

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use EP90 diff oil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: