Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Swapping Pajero for Challenger

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shogun-fife

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 23:46    Post subject: Swapping Pajero for Challenger Reply with quote

I've been thinking about selling my pajero for something a little more modern, and after briefly thinking about other options I keep coming back to mitsi. I've decided I'd like to go petrol this time after owning both 2.5 & 2.8 TD shogun/paj, and in particular have been looking at the Challenger/Sport.

The main thing I'm wondering about is the 4wd system - I'm aware it isn't Super Select and can't be used in 4wd on hard surfaces so my question is, does it matter? I tend to drive my paj in 4wd through most of the winter and when it's wet, otherwise it can be tail-happy on the AT tyres. If the Challenger has to be driven in 2wd on the road, does that mean it's as much use as a BMW when it's a bit icy? Laughing I previously thought they were ok in 4wd but couldn't be switched on the move like SS, but after reading more on here I now see that's a no-go. This would potentially put me off, unless any Challenger/Sport owners can talk me round? (I understand later trucks have SS but I'd be looking at 1998-2003ish).
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 23:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the extra security of permanent 4WD is worth having. Whilst Shogun Sports don't have Super-Select, Challengers do. There are some petrol Challengers about with Super Select gearboxes. They are rare though, but might be worth searching for.

Crazy price, but here's an example:  3.5 Challenger on Ebay
shogun-fife

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
I think the extra security of permanent 4WD is worth having. Whilst Shogun Sports don't have Super-Select, Challengers do. There are some petrol Challengers about with Super Select gearboxes. They are rare though, but might be worth searching for.

Crazy price, but here's an example:  3.5 Challenger on Ebay

Cheers for the reply. I've read that 2.8 Challengers have SS, is that all 2.8s?  I would consider a 2.8 if one came up but would prefer petrol, and also manual if possible. There's one on ebay at the moment but it would have to be on the south coast of all places - I don't mind travelling for the right car but that's pushing it! Also leather interior which would be a bonus.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

shogun-fife wrote:

Cheers for the reply. I've read that 2.8 Challengers have SS, is that all 2.8s?  I would consider a 2.8 if one came up but would prefer petrol, and also manual if possible. There's one on ebay at the moment but it would have to be on the south coast of all places - I don't mind travelling for the right car but that's pushing it! Also leather interior which would be a bonus.

I now realise that my original response wasn't correct. I'd forgotten that the name 'Challenger' was originally used for vehicles sold new into the UK market in 2.5 diesel and 3.0 petrol versions. I don't believe that these had Super Select. It's the vehicles imported from Japan that have Super Select. The name 'Challenger' was then replaced with 'Shogun Sport' and 'Pajero Sport' in the UK and elsewhere.

I think that all the 2.8 diesels were imports, and that all 2.8s will have Super Select. I don't know of any 2.8 manuals, but it doesn't mean that they don't exist.

I'm pretty sure that on Super Select vehicles the transfer box lever is to the right of the gear selector/lever.  On vehicles without it, the transfer lever is to the left. So that would mean that the one in the Ebay link isn't Super Select.

Hope all that makes sense!
shogun-fife

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah makes sense cheers thumbup

I'll have to give this more thought while I wait and see what comes up within reasonable distance. In reality I never go off road and may have driven in snow about 3 times in 3 years so permanent 4wd shouldn't really be a priority, I've just got used to having it.
KEVINBUK

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth I had a 2.8 Challenger Auto and apart from off roading and seriously skitey road conditions, ran it in 2WD at all other times without feeling it was tail happy on the 265/75/16 BFG A/T's. I cannot say the same for the combination of Enduros and Pirrellis I had on earlier   Shocked

I think you would be fine in 2WD for normal conditions and know that when the going got tough you still had 4WD in reserve on a Shogun Sport.

Personally I would have Auto over Manual every time ( would swap my current transmission in a heartbeat if it was a simple job).

All IMHO of course

K  Wink
shogun-fife

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEVINBUK wrote:
For what its worth I had a 2.8 Challenger Auto and apart from off roading and seriously skitey road conditions, ran it in 2WD at all other times without feeling it was tail happy on the 265/75/16 BFG A/T's. I cannot say the same for the combination of Enduros and Pirrellis I had on earlier   Shocked

I think you would be fine in 2WD for normal conditions and know that when the going got tough you still had 4WD in reserve on a Shogun Sport.

Personally I would have Auto over Manual every time ( would swap my current transmission in a heartbeat if it was a simple job).

All IMHO of course

K  Wink

I have Enduros on mine - didn't think it was possible to lose the back end in a 2.5 but it's surprisingly easy in the wet Shocked
KEVINBUK

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but I think your problem is the Enduros and not the car... Honestly, the difference between my BFG A/T's and the Enduros ( and the Pirelli Scorpions) was dramatic to say the least. It was more obviuos for me as when I bought the car it had new Bridgestones A/T's on std 15" wheels and everything was solid. I then changed to the 16" wheels with the Enduros and Pirellis already fitted and with loads of tread. I thought " what the hell is wrong with the handling?" But then fitted the BFG's and that solved the problem.

I have seen folk on here say their Enduros have been fine, well I can only speak from my own experience.

K  Wink
shogun-fife

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update -

I have put down a deposit on a 3.0V6 challenger which I will pick up next weekend. I've never driven a petrol shogun or pajero so looking forward to seeing how it drives on the road trip back from picking it up. Will post pics when I get her home.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you'll be delighted with it. I look forward to seeing the pics.  Smile
shogun-fife

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
I'm sure you'll be delighted with it. I look forward to seeing the pics.  Smile

Cheers  Smile

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if seats from a Shogun Sport will fit my Challenger? Or will I need the runners too? I was hoping for a leather interior but gone with cloth and will look out for leathers to add later.
vijay

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC you need to swap parts over from the old runners - but they do fit as I've done it Smile
shogun-fife

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look on ebay for leathers and unbelievably found a set for sale in the same village that I'm picking up the truck from  Very Happy I couldn't ignore a sign from the gods like that so I'll be taking it back up the road with me assuming it all fits in. Pretty happy with that as the cloth interior was the only thing I compromised on when looking for one of these.
skool

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

have to say i think your siggy pic makes your paj look gorgeous , not sure id of wanted to get rid of that tbh and if you werent so far away id of been interested in buying it as im starting to need a lwb for moving stuff thesedays more then the swb for offroad nimbleness

good luck with your new truck though - just make sure timing belt is done and then youll defo enjoy the v6 Smile
shogun-fife

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

skool wrote:
have to say i think your siggy pic makes your paj look gorgeous , not sure id of wanted to get rid of that tbh and if you werent so far away id of been interested in buying it as im starting to need a lwb for moving stuff thesedays more then the swb for offroad nimbleness

good luck with your new truck though - just make sure timing belt is done and then youll defo enjoy the v6 Smile

Cheers, I do love my paj but my work situation recently changed and I now use it every day, so I decided to look for something a bit newer and with a bit more welly Laughing  It has been a great truck in the 3.5 years I've had it but I'm now looking forward to the new arrival - 49k on it and timing belt done recently so no worries Surprised
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: