Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

outer cv or baring...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Other vehicles technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
destroyityourself

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:37    Post subject: outer cv or baring... Reply with quote

the wifes clio has a droning noise from the front offside while driving that gets quieter while turning left ( if i remember right ), to me it sounds like a wheel baring...

jacked it up and checked for 12-6 play in the wheel, nothing, then checked 9-3 play in the wheel and theres a fair bit....

the track rod end looks like it will need replaced and the outer cv boot is split and has chucked out all the grease...

even though it sounds like a wheel baring, and doesnt click on full lock like most outer cv joints would, going on the above information would you guys agree that its most likely the outer cv joint causing the noise/faulty?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

sub mit ishi

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

shouldnt be freeplay in wheelbearings, have you checked all the bearings inc rears?
try http://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/ they are good and sometimes its cheaper to change a complete shaft. I`ve used them for a few different motors & always pleased with the quality & service which Model is it the early ones the bearings were quite easy, check balljoint too, they dont last long if a track rod end wobbles
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

sub mit ishi wrote:
try http://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/ they are good and sometimes its cheaper to change a complete shaft.

Yep - I can vouch for J&R - got two for my son's Saxo from them.
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a droning on the subaru last year, no play at all in any wheel bearings. It sounded central and even bought a rear diff i was that convinced......... Only way i found it was up on a ramp at 80, the noise transmitted through the shocker and across making it sound central........argghhh Laughing
Until the bearing came out(literally fell apart) was the proof in the pudding.

Would check the bearing for a drone, clicking CV so maybe 2 issues there.
tom fenton
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

With it jacked up give it a good spin, if the bearing is rough you can usually hear it growling. But it sounds like you've a few things to attend to e.g. cv gaiter as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Other vehicles technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: