2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

MOT - Emissions failure - ideas?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roadrunner2110

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

What colour smoke are you chucking out under acceleration and uphill hard work Question
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 23:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

stecad

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's white - un-burnt diesel.
I did check with the guys who overhauled the fuel pump last year (highly recommended on here) and they told me that this engine is always on the edge with the emissions limits and especially when on boost.
It seems most trucks have to be tweaked to get them through.
I'll remove the boost pipe to get her through the MOT.
The old fuel pump was completely knackered and an electric pump had been connected in line by the previous owner. Now she's "as is", and with a properly functioning turbo I think it's now just a matter of fine tuning.
I'll have time to do this once I get this MOT sorted.
Roadrunner2110

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

stecad wrote:
It's white - un-burnt diesel.
I did check with the guys who overhauled the fuel pump last year (highly recommended on here) and they told me that this engine is always on the edge with the emissions limits and especially when on boost.
It seems most trucks have to be tweaked to get them through.
I'll remove the boost pipe to get her through the MOT.
The old fuel pump was completely knackered and an electric pump had been connected in line by the previous owner. Now she's "as is", and with a properly functioning turbo I think it's now just a matter of fine tuning.
I'll have time to do this once I get this MOT sorted.

I'm sorry to say I think your MOT guys are talking BS. I know many Pajero owners in the UK who have walked through the MOT with old Mk 1's and early Mk 2's with EGR's still in place.

Reflecting on your truck, no way should it have an electric pump feeding the main IP as it's probably overfuelling it. If it needs an electric pump there is something amiss with the fuel delivery system even with an old IP. IMHO the best thing you could do is remove the electric pump and carefully checkout your fuel lines, tank filter and stack pipes. Also check your IP timing and have the injection pump accurately set up.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner2110 wrote:

Reflecting on your truck, no way should it have an electric pump feeding the main IP as it's probably overfuelling it. If it needs an electric pump there is something amiss with the fuel delivery system even with an old IP. IMHO the best thing you could do is remove the electric pump and carefully checkout your fuel lines, tank filter and stack pipes. Also check your IP timing and have the injection pump accurately set up.

I read it that the injection pump has been overhauled and the electric pump removed already. Even if the electric pump was in place, I don't think it would generate enough pressure to overfuel it.
Roadrunner2110

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
Roadrunner2110 wrote:

I read it that the injection pump has been overhauled and the electric pump removed already. Even if the electric pump was in place, I don't think it would generate enough pressure to overfuel it.

I didn't recognise any clarity whether the pump had been removed or not only that the IP had been refurbed but probably not set up on the truck properly.

I know of a few HP fuel pumps that would overcome the IP, Holley etc which would have a higher pressure output than this old IP. I may be wrong but the IP I'm sure is the root cause of the problems.
stecad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi chaps, apols if earlier post not clear.
Electric fuel pump was removed by myself when I had the OEM unit overhauled last year.
stecad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just disconnected the turbo boost pipe from the top of the fuel pump and taken her for a spin.
Parked up and blipped the throttle. No white smoke but a good short puff of black soot easy time.
Reckon this is just the exhaust clearing itself out?
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner2110 wrote:

I know of a few HP fuel pumps that would overcome the IP, Holley etc which would have a higher pressure output than this old IP.

The Bosch VE pump (same as Zexel) pressurises the fuel to 120 bar (1740 psi). Is there a Holley fuel pump that goes higher than that?
Si7

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

stecad wrote:
Hi chaps, apols if earlier post not clear.
Electric fuel pump was removed by myself when I had the OEM unit overhauled last year.

I did think this when you said, "The old fuel pump was completely knackered and an electric pump had been connected in line by the previous owner. Now she's "as is"

I don't think a small puff of black smoke on a full throttle blip is anything to worry about, mine does the same, if you have cured the clouds of smoke under full power you might now be in with a shout for a new MOT Smile
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote  ....  "Just disconnected the turbo boost pipe from the top of the fuel pump and taken her for a spin".

And did this disconnect have a significant effect on performance ?
stecad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest it didn't seem to affect the performance. I only took it round town so wouldn't like to recommend it as a cure.
Mates garage has given it an MOT so happy days. He reckons the injectors need looking at. They were rebuilt about 4 years ago but my mate does know his stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: