Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

2.5 broker valve rockers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> L200 technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shogun3.2did

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:23    Post subject: 2.5 broker valve rockers Reply with quote

Hi I got a shogun sport the other day cheap as the engine went.  Now I don't know much about engines but I decided to investigate the cause.   I want to put the 4x4 on the road again but I'd rather fix the engine I have rather than replace it so here it goes.  

I took the rocker cover off and there were 3 rockers broken and and the engine cam caps all 5 were broken.  So I then checked the timing.  The timing on both belts and the timimg was perfect.  So I am left stumped at what could have caused this.  However the rockers than remained were rather loose as in a 5 mm gap between the tapir and the valve.  What could have caused this and what is the best solution to fix this the timing belts wer done at 115000 and there is 127000 on it now.  

Any help advice or I put would be great as I want to keep this engine in as I know it from new and was never abuse owned and driven by an elderly couple.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:23    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Sparksie

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I suspect the belts were done last time, following a break, or more likely a slip.
This is supposed to break the rockers, to protect the cam, valves and pistons, but it's not always obvious, especially to a novice, when the rockers are cracked but haven't actually disintegrated.
Upon reassembly, any cracked rockers will have enlarged clearances, but possibly not too much to be adjusted, so the novice does that and the engine runs, for a while.
Sooner or later, of course, the damaged rocker(s) will fail and the affected cylinders will stop firing.
Then a mechanic who doesn't know the history faces the conundrum you currently have... a perfectly timed engine, with a lunched top-end!
I'd advise getting a full set of rockers and caps and check the rocker shafts carefully for any scoring that may have been caused by running with damaged rockers. Replace them if anything you can feel with a fingernail is found
Good luck with it

Sparksie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> L200 technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: