Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

oil pressure warning light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnkarl

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 18:05    Post subject: oil pressure warning light Reply with quote

After looking about on the forum for an answer to my question and not finding it,
i was wondering if anyone can answer the aforementioned, I have a 2001 Shogun Sport 3.0 v6
and i wondered if they are supposed to have a oil pressure warning light, the reason for my question is.
i have removed the clocks and found that where the oil pressure warning light bulb is supposed to be
there was no bulb, so i took the bulb and holder from another warning light and tried it in
the oil pressure light socket, turned on the ignition and it didn't light up, replaced it back where i had got it
from and it lit up, so i know that the bulb is good, i then tried again and nothing, but this time i started
the car and to my surprise the oil pressure gauge had reduced pressure and would hardly come off
the zero, i removed the bulb, restarted the car and the oil pressure gauge read as normal. Its a strange
fault, just to say the oil pressure warning light has not lit up
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 18:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like someone "may have" replaced the oil pressure switch with a pressure sender for the gauge and is using the stock wiring to get the signal to the gauge in the car, then drawing power from this to light a bulb will reduce the signal to the gauge... showing a lower oil pressure.

Now this theory is complete rubbish if the gauge you have is a stock gauge and not an after market installation lol
johnkarl

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a stock gauge mate, thanks anyway
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah..... the theory may still apply as most cars with an oil pressure gauge as standard dont have a light as well so the theory may still work.....

need to see if anyone else has a light with a stock gauge too? if not then there's your problem  Very Happy
shoggiesteve

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mate I have a 2.5TD Shogun Sport and that has got an oil warning light and a stock pressure gauge in the binnacle in the middle.
shoggiesteve

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate I have a 2.5TD Shogun Sport and that has got an oil warning light and a stock pressure gauge in the binnacle in the middle.
johnkarl

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

it says it has an oil warning light in the owners manual, going to get it on the ramps tomorrow to have a look at both the senders to see what the previous owner has or hasn't done, will post and let you know what i find, cheers
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok ill get me coat  Embarassed
johnkarl

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark3 wrote:
Ok ill get me coat  Embarassed

he he he
johnkarl

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i have take the bottom engine guards off to get a look at the oil pressure switch and the oil warning light sensor, i have found the oil pressure sender unit, this has one wire coming from it, i have also found the oil level sensor on the opposite side of the engine, but there is no sign of the oil warning light sensor, there is however what looks like a blanking bolt, above and to the right [back] of the oil pressure sender, but can't locate any wires in that general area, if any one has any pictures of this elusive sensor and wire, i would be very greatfull if you could post it so i have an idea where it is, this is a v6 petrol engine, thanks in advance
johnkarl

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update, just looked on all the shogun sport v6s for sale on ebay, hoping  to see the dashboard warning lights lit up and i did indeed find a picture of the warning lights all on, checked the rev counter was at zero and low and behold it also has no oil pressure warning light illuminated, i can only assume from this that the shogun sport v6 has NO oil pressure warning light and only has an oil pressure gauge and oil level warning light, unless you know different, i have also looked at the oil pressure gauges to get an average reading, mine reads the same as the ones i have seen, and i know they are notoriously unreliable, but i had to check he he he
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: