eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Oil leak - right hand side of engine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stecad

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:58    Post subject: Oil leak - right hand side of engine. Reply with quote

4M40 2.8 TD SWB.

I keep getting the odd drop of oil on my drive.
I've sorted the half moon and rocker cover, even found one on the turbo return pipe. Also changed the front crankshaft seal.
Cleaned everything with white spirit but there's one somewhere on the right side of the engine (standing looking into the engine bay).
Looking from underneath it's collecting on 2 small pipes that run from the front of the engine (radiator) and then drip off.

Any ideas before the wife kills me.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

KEVINBUK

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its coming from the front, perhaps its the oil pressure sensor, but that is clean are you sure its engine oil and not power steering fluid from the connections on the power steering pump?

Good luck ( with the wife I mean  Wink )

K  Wink
Simon_W

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 19:17    Post subject: Re: Oil leak - right hand side of engine. Reply with quote

stecad wrote:

1.Until it's fixed, place an old baking tray with some sand in it under the vehicle where it's leaking.

2. Brake cleaner is pretty effecive at removing oil from driveways.

3. Tell your wife she's fortunate that you haven't got a Land Rover.

To find the leak, use a degreaser and a brush to remove all the oil from the affected area. Then spray genty with water (small garden spray is ideal). Don't do this in your driveway unless you can protect it effectively.  Wink  

Once it's clean, apply some talcum powder. When you use the truck, the track of oil should show up in the talcum powder and reveal its source. It can be a bit difficult because the fan blows the oil back over the engine.

I agree with Kevin that the oil pressure sensor is the prime suspect. They tend to leak near the electrical terminal.
Roadrunner2110

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 23:26    Post subject: Re: Oil leak - right hand side of engine. Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
stecad wrote:

1.Until it's fixed, place an old baking tray with some sand in it under the vehicle where it's leaking.

2. Brake cleaner is pretty effecive at removing oil from driveways.

3. Tell your wife she's fortunate that you haven't got a Land Rover.

To find the leak, use a degreaser and a brush to remove all the oil from the affected area. Then spray genty with water (small garden spray is ideal). Don't do this in your driveway unless you can protect it effectively.  Wink  

Once it's clean, apply some talcum powder. When you use the truck, the track of oil should show up in the talcum powder and reveal its source. It can be a bit difficult because the fan blows the oil back over the engine.

I agree with Kevin that the oil pressure sensor is the prime suspect. They tend to leak near the electrical terminal.

If that doesn't work at least the engine bay will smell nice  Wink  Very Happy

Also check the oil cooler on the side of the engine or am I getting confused with Landrovers  Wink  Laughing
Dmcmylor

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEVINBUK wrote:
If its coming from the front, perhaps its the oil pressure sensor, but that is clean are you sure its engine oil and not power steering fluid from the connections on the power steering pump?

Good luck ( with the wife I mean  Wink )

K  Wink

+1 for the oil pressure switch. I've had the pleasure, they leak and then the fan blows the oil up the right side of the engine. For less than a fiver for a new one and 5 mons to replace it's worth doing to rule it out. This is offending article

They can leak from around the threads AND up through the centre of the switch and out through the spade connector at the top.
stecad

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks.
Will have a go at the talc trick this weekend.
Hope it is the oil switch as this looks dead easy.
NDZ

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2.8 passed its MOT fine but sprang an impressive oil leak from the oil sensor during the test! I've ordered a new one but wanted to ask for any tips on refitting - I removed the old one with a deep 24mm socket, it wasn't a great solution but just got enough purchase to get it moving. My 24mm spanner has no chance in that gap and the old unit had been installed with PTFE tape on the threads. So for installation what what tool would you suggest, any rough ideas on torque and is it worth using more PTFE as a precaution?
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the same as you, a 24mm deep drive socket, to remove and replace, however knowing this place someone will have a "better" way.
NDZ

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks my snag was that I was using a socket only slightly deeper than normal and couldn't clear the terminal and get the wrench fully in place. Oh well, time to buy another single use tool! ;)
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenthepipe wrote:
however knowing this place someone will have a "better" way.

Yep  Very Happy  - I used a braided hose screwed into the hole where the switch should be and relocated the switch to somewhere sensible.

(I actually did it so I had space to fit the oil pressure gauge electric sender)

You can see the switch on the end of the Tee piece - I can remove it with an ordinary spanner.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bit of alloy plate looks a bit rough for you Pete!  Laughing
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
That bit of alloy plate looks a bit rough for you Pete!  Laughing

Yep - it was just a temporary thing made up of some scrap aluminium Simon.

It's on the list of stuff to be done - but so low down on the list that it never seems to get to the top!
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
Yep - it was just a temporary thing made up of some scrap aluminium Simon.

It's on the list of stuff to be done - but so low down on the list that it never seems to get to the top!

Just making sure your standards don't drop Pete!  Wink  If they do, there's no hope for the rest of us.

I'm the same with my job list.  I've crossed off a lot in the last few days though.  Smile
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had twelve jobs on my list a month ago - I've done a lot of them but the list has got longer as I find new bits to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: