QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club
 
The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Bailey Caravans a word of warning.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Caravanning discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mitsu Monkey
****
****




Joined: 09 Feb 2007
Posts: 304
Location: Leicestershire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 0:09    Post subject: Bailey Caravans a word of warning. Reply with quote

Hi All,
Has anyone got a Bailey caravan around the 2007/8 mark?  My Dad and brother both have one each and have both discovered stress fractures on the back and front panels.  Apparently this is a very common manufacturing fault.  These cracks can let in damp.

They are both looking into a warranty claim but as my dad hasn't had all the services Bailey don't want to know.  This is in my opinion is very poor customer service as they are fully aware that it is their manufacturing process that is at fault.

My brother may have more success as he has only missed one service.  But personally I doubt it.

How having your caravan serviced will stop stress fractures is rubbish, it's just a get out of jail for Bailey.  If it was a car maunfacturer they would have been forced into a recall.

My advice to anyone considering buying a bailey of (approx) that age is don't.  Just google the problem if you don't beleive me.

If you do have one check it asap.
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
Google
Sponsor







PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 0:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!


Back to top
davembp
******
******


Age: 56
Zodiac: Capricorn
Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 2187
Location: chesterfield

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get done get Dom come's to mind, Hope they get Bailey to sort it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
ROY H
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member


Age: 56
Zodiac: Taurus
Joined: 20 Jun 2010
Posts: 146
Location: ormskirk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just had a series 7 in with the rear window rubber hanging off.Suposed to have been stapled at the factory but found none.
Also found stress cracks around the grab handles but was told customer shouldnt pull on them Shocked .
bailey had a massive recall on 2007-2008 vans due to stress cracks next to rails and damp occuring.All affected fronts and backs had to be replaced
This was caused due to not being pilot holed at the factory first when screwing rails on.
This same mistake finished avondale off after they couldnt finance the warranty.
Afraid either way there going to have to be sealed pretty quick.
Good luck
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
Mitsu Monkey
****
****




Joined: 09 Feb 2007
Posts: 304
Location: Leicestershire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worse for my dad a damp test revealed that the awning rail wasn't screwed in properly and has let a small bit of damp in.
Roy I'm interested in this recall, we don't know anything about this. Can you tell me more???

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
ROY H
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member


Age: 56
Zodiac: Taurus
Joined: 20 Jun 2010
Posts: 146
Location: ormskirk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

All i know is there was a massive recall on the fronts and backs of these vans.Bailey does not reveal much info
They dont like dealing with outside trade
Bailey was supposed to inform all its customers about the fault and many was returned for the work to be carried out.
The manufacturers have you by the b***** if you dont keep up service at an approved workshop

The service centres were supposed to have checked that the fronts and backs were in a fit state at the time of the service to.
If you dont get any joy from bailey its not an too expensive job to be done.
If readings are 45-60% then wallboard is required and your talking money

Rails are held on with sikoflex then screwed and can be removed using a windscreen bond wire cutter and front or back fill with plastic filler and sprayed .
Theres a very good chance when the rails off you will see the crack next to the screw holes
Dont try this repair yourself ,you have a good chance of creasing the rail on removal
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
parksy
**
**


Age: 69
Zodiac: Scorpio
Joined: 05 Jun 2007
Posts: 100
Location: Tipton, West Midlands

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing to remember here is that the warranty is given by Bailey on condition that the caravan is serviced according to schedule by one of their approved dealers.
If the caravan hasn't been serviced then a warranty claim wouldn't be allowed, but a warranty doesn't affect the buyers statutory rights.
Your father presumably bought his caravan from a dealership, Bailey don't sell caravans direct to the public so any SOGA claim for repairs must be made against the supplying dealers, forget Bailey because the contract of sale is between the dealer and your father.
When your father bought the caravan the Sale of Goods Act  ( SOGA) would apply and the Act stipulates that the goods must be fit for purpose and must remain fit for purpose for a reasonable period of time.
The end panel cracking is a known fault on Bailey caravans so the you could argue that the caravan is unfit for purpose and that it could reasonably have been expected to last longer than four years.
Your Father should get in touch with his local Trading Standards Institute who will help and advise him, he may have to seek professional legal advice if he seeks redress in the small claims court.
I'm off on the Practical Caravan Rally for 10 days first thing in the morning but if you need any advice please PM me and I'll see it when I come back.
Alternatively you could ask about the Sale of Goods Act on the General message board of the Practical Caravan forum  where somebody probably better qualified than I am will advise you what to do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
bobcarol
Newbie
Newbie


Age: 67
Zodiac: Sagittarius
Joined: 17 Jul 2012
Posts: 1
Location: west sussex

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi I have a ranger 460/4 2007 model. and the back panel has developed cracks, now dealing with the finance company who show little regards to the damage caused from water seeping in
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
Richie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member


Age: 21
Zodiac: Capricorn
Joined: 10 Oct 2002
Posts: 9445
Location: Away

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

parksy wrote:
The main thing to remember here is that the warranty is given by Bailey on condition that the caravan is serviced according to schedule by one of their approved dealers.
If the caravan hasn't been serviced then a warranty claim wouldn't be allowed, but a warranty doesn't affect the buyers statutory rights.
Your father presumably bought his caravan from a dealership, Bailey don't sell caravans direct to the public so any SOGA claim for repairs must be made against the supplying dealers, forget Bailey because the contract of sale is between the dealer and your father.
When your father bought the caravan the Sale of Goods Act  ( SOGA) would apply and the Act stipulates that the goods must be fit for purpose and must remain fit for purpose for a reasonable period of time.
The end panel cracking is a known fault on Bailey caravans so the you could argue that the caravan is unfit for purpose and that it could reasonably have been expected to last longer than four years.
Your Father should get in touch with his local Trading Standards Institute who will help and advise him, he may have to seek professional legal advice if he seeks redress in the small claims court.
I'm off on the Practical Caravan Rally for 10 days first thing in the morning but if you need any advice please PM me and I'll see it when I come back.
Alternatively you could ask about the Sale of Goods Act on the General message board of the Practical Caravan forum  where somebody probably better qualified than I am will advise you what to do.



Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
the swede
****
****


Age: 46
Zodiac: Leo
Joined: 03 Feb 2013
Posts: 443
Location: Southern France & North Finland

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Known issue.

I know a guy who used to work at quality control at Bailey's.

He once explained the difference between e.g. German caravans and British caravans. The Germans (Dutch/Swedes/Slovenians) build their caravans for the whole of Europe as they sell them as well in Finland as in Spain. As a result, they pay a lot of attention to the "flexibility" of the joints etc making sure they do not leak after a cold Finnish winter or after being half molten in the Spanish or Greek sun.

Bailey's and co build caravans more tailored to the UK public and for use locally. As a result, if you'd take your caravan to Southern Europe in summer, the joints expand under the heat, if it happens to freeze badly in winter, the contract more than they expected and the next summer, you're at risk of having leaks. Obviously, one or two years will work, but continuous changes in temperatures, seems to get the better of them.
Which is probably why the travellers all use German caravans.  Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
parksy
**
**


Age: 69
Zodiac: Scorpio
Joined: 05 Jun 2007
Posts: 100
Location: Tipton, West Midlands

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read posts on various caravan forums from owners of German and continental manufactured caravans with similar issues to some of those which have affected British caravan manufacturers and the unsubstantiated comments about German caravans being superior in every way to UK models are largely a myth perpetuated by UK owners of German caravans who appear to feel that they need to justify their choice to others on caravan forums.

The awning rails on German caravans were better designed than those on their British counterparts which would have alleviated many of the problems which historically have led to water ingress but most UK manufacturers have re-designed the awning rail in line with Continental models.

The front and rear panel problem is not exclusive to Bailey, many 2011-12 Swift caravans have had similar problems with panel cracking and the problem is generally acknowledged within the industry to be due to stress fracturing which is manifested as micro cracking of ABS panels near to roof lines, with curved sections being particularly prone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
the swede
****
****


Age: 46
Zodiac: Leo
Joined: 03 Feb 2013
Posts: 443
Location: Southern France & North Finland

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty funny that UK owners think they need to justify their choice of caravan Laughing   What's next? Trying to explain to your neighbours why you buy a Japanese or Korean car instead of a German one?

Personally, I am used to a certain layout and size of caravan (especially the width), hence why I always buy non-British caravans.

As said, I only got the statement from a person who works for Baileys.

Actually, whereas Hobby's are considered as "quality" in the UK and used by travellers, they're absolutely not well built. Everyone I know has had problems with them after 3-4 years of ownership.
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
Mitsu Monkey
****
****




Joined: 09 Feb 2007
Posts: 304
Location: Leicestershire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thankfully both my brothers and my dad's caravans have been sorted, my brothers under warranty and my dad's unfortunately out of his own wallet. Basically as far as I understand it the problem came not from cheap materials or any design fault but from poor workmanship, basically pilot holes were drilled in the wrong places and screw's then just drilled in the wrong places.
Not the best but there you go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
the swede
****
****


Age: 46
Zodiac: Leo
Joined: 03 Feb 2013
Posts: 443
Location: Southern France & North Finland

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitsu Monkey wrote:
Well thankfully both my brothers and my dad's caravans have been sorted, my brothers under warranty and my dad's unfortunately out of his own wallet. Basically as far as I understand it the problem came not from cheap materials or any design fault but from poor workmanship, basically pilot holes were drilled in the wrong places and screw's then just drilled in the wrong places.
Not the best but there you go.


Unfortunately, all manufacturers, whether they make cars, caravans or fridges, spend their money on marketing and facebook rather than on proper product testing and quality.

I'll still stick to my gypsy thing though, I think Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
parksy
**
**


Age: 69
Zodiac: Scorpio
Joined: 05 Jun 2007
Posts: 100
Location: Tipton, West Midlands

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitsu Monkey wrote:
Well thankfully both my brothers and my dad's caravans have been sorted, my brothers under warranty and my dad's unfortunately out of his own wallet. Basically as far as I understand it the problem came not from cheap materials or any design fault but from poor workmanship, basically pilot holes were drilled in the wrong places and screw's then just drilled in the wrong places.
Not the best but there you go.


Unless your Dad or someone working for him drilled the holes after he'd bought the caravan then the dealer who he bought his caravan from is liable for the cost of repair if he can prove that the damage existed prior to the purchase.

This is nothing to do with warranties which are supplied by a manufacturer or a dealer in the case of used caravans, your Dad should claim the cost of repairs because it is his statutory right to do so under the SOGA.

He didn't deliberately choose a caravan with holes in it so if they were present when he bought the caravan and he can prove beyond reasonable doubt that this was so the caravan was not of merchantable quality and he could claim the cost of repair from the dealer in the small claims court.

the swede wrote:

Pretty funny that UK owners think they need to justify their choice of caravan Laughing   What's next? Trying to explain to your neighbours why you buy a Japanese or Korean car instead of a German one?

Personally, I am used to a certain layout and size of caravan (especially the width), hence why I always buy non-British caravans.

As said, I only got the statement from a person who works for Baileys.

Actually, whereas Hobby's are considered as "quality" in the UK and used by travellers, they're absolutely not well built. Everyone I know has had problems with them after 3-4 years of ownership.

It's surprising how het up some owners can be when they are defending their choice of caravan on a caravan forum Laughing
Bailey vs Swift owners are bad enough but if an owner of a German caravan enters the fray the balloon really goes up. I work on the premise that all UK manufactured caravans are as bad as each other with very little progress in the last 30 odd years with regard to constructing caravans which don't have some degree of water ingress according to the recent Practical Caravan Owners Survey.
I know that Hobby are regarded as pretty much run of the mill in Germany but seasonal users here like the space that they offer.  I think that UK caravan manufacturers could learn something from Kabe in Sweden because at least their caravans are nice and warm  Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
garner51
*
*


Age: 42
Zodiac: Aries
Joined: 21 Oct 2012
Posts: 10
Location: Elgin, N. Scotland

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parksy you little bu@@er

Just checked out the Kabe website

Want one so bad.... Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send personal message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Caravanning discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


All contents © Hobson's Choice IT Solutions Ltd 1997 on
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group