Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

New Evo owner - need engine help!! Tick over seized - now ok

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EVO technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt407

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:19    Post subject: New Evo owner - need engine help!! Tick over seized - now ok Reply with quote

Hello everyone, first time posting here and looking for help. It's a long story so please. Bear with me.
4 years ago my dad purchased a mint evo. He drove it for around 300 miles - all ok . He then decided to show off with it taking me out. We were going around a long tight left hand bend when we suddenly heard the engine start to bottom end knock. He had the engine complete rebuilt but the cause of the problem was never found and put down to "bad luck" ( we could source an oil pump at the time of the rebuild -  anyone know where to get one?)

Anyway, upon the engine being rebuilt (new shells, crank polished etc etc) the engine started first time and sounded great. The garage had the engine ticking over whilst bedding everything in and ensure the fluids where topped up. The mechanic (my uncle) suddenly noticed the the engine had cut out. He tried the key and the start just clicked , tried to turn the engine over by hand and it appeared to be seized (didn't appear to have overheated ) Not wanting to damage anything he left the engine alone. Month later my dad and I went to pick the car up to take it home (having given up) for a laugh we tried the key and the engine fired straight up - sounded a bit rough for 20seconds and settled down and sounded amazing.  Since this day the engine hasn't been touched.

I have finally convinced my dad to give me the Evo before it rots away, but obviously I don't want to wreck the engine as we know there is a problem. My question to you all is - has this happened to anyone before?  Any clue on where to begin? Any ideas on the cause?  Do we start the engine and run it until it seizes again? If/ when it seize again then it will be easier to investigate the cause?

And finally if all else fails can I get a non mivec 3.5 V6 engine - put the mivec heads on and still have 280hp ? Or is the compensation ratio and other things different?? Oil pump?

Sorry for the life story but thought it best to put all the information we have down.

Thanks for your help matt
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:19    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

T04GTR

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

rods and pistons different. oil pump housing im pretty sure is the same,
oil pump gears are the same for all 6g. engines.

you could do it but it will have very low comp. 8:1 or something as the mivec heads have a pretty big chamber and have flat top pistons. for 10:1 comp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EVO technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: