QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Vehicle health check results

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
medicman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 20:20    Post subject: Vehicle health check results Reply with quote

Hi guys

Put the truck into my local Mitsubishi dealer for its annual service today, " I do it every year " and got phone call from them regarding

it's "health check" stating there is weeping of oil on the bottom of the steering rack, on the " yoke adjuster bit " and a small hole on

side of DPF approx biro pen size, just advisory but needs addressing at some time soon, and just for info, wait for it, price of new

rack fitted £3584 and £675 for DPF, nearly fell off the chair, needless to say won't be buying new rack but would appreciate advice

about repairing it, if its possible, will fill the exhaust hole with putty.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 20:20    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 20:49    Post subject: Re: Vehicle health check results Reply with quote

medicman wrote:

price of new rack fitted £3584

How do they justify those sort of prices? I wonder if Mitsy dealers are actually on the same planet as the rest of us  Shocked
radiomike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

The yoke adjuster is the is the device which controls the mesh of the rack with the pinion, I thought ours was weeping but it looks like the oil is coming from the pinion shaft seal at just 37k miles.
radiomike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 22:37    Post subject: Re: Vehicle health check results Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
medicman wrote:

price of new rack fitted £3584

How do they justify those sort of prices? I wonder if Mitsy dealers are actually on the same planet as the rest of us  Shocked

Nothing to do with the dealers Pete, the parts prices are set by CCC.

A new bare GDI engine was something like £11k and a mk4 MMCS radio was £4k at one time.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem a bit expensive !   Shocked
medicman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks for the replys

Radiomike mines done 39k and if its same leak as yours what can I do about it, what did you do?
SteveMilner

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a reconditioned rack from a place near bristol (you have to send your rack back to them after the swap out) for £275 and got my local garage to swap it out.

I was loosing fluid at a rate of knots but I'm not technically minded enough to explain where - Apparently the bit where the steering shaft goes in.

There has been a couple of downsides to this that Im still trying to work through - The heating in the car is well below par, although this may be a coincidence and I have an airbag light on.

Regards,
Steve
radiomike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

medicman wrote:
Hi and thanks for the replys

Radiomike mines done 39k and if its same leak as yours what can I do about it, what did you do?

Just checked our 2010 Warrior and it too is 39k not 37k as suggested.  ATM it is just a damp patch but will need monitoring and as with Steve's one it appears to be the pinion shaft seal, if you drop the cover under the engine it is plain to see.

If it gets any worse I will send it away for an overhaul rather than exchange as really don't want a resealed 16 year old rack that has done 200k+.
SteveMilner

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

radiomike wrote:

If it gets any worse I will send it away for an overhaul rather than exchange as really don't want a resealed 16 year old rack that has done 200k+.

I wish I had that option but I couldn't do without the car for that long. And to be fair mine's done 88K miles but I take your point.
johndps

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at a main dealer and was the guy that called with results of VHC's.
You'd be surprised at the number of folks who say...just do it.
You'd be surprised at the number of folks that say just do it BEFORE they hear the price.
And don't get me started on lips on brake discs.
I can accept that the factory didn't put a lip on the disc when it left the factory,
but having worked on cars for many a long and weary year,
not every disc that has a lip on it needs replaced.
But jeez...soon as Joe Public hears BRAKES, they go into must-be-done-mode.
lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: