Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Is RFI an Issue With Pajero Compass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Radio Communications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevor Dennis

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:32    Post subject: Is RFI an Issue With Pajero Compass Reply with quote

This is going to be a retrospective question, because I have already done what I am asking about, but after doing so, I am having second thoughts.

I have a 2001 3.5 petrol GLS that I have owned for 12 years.  Yesterday I fitted a tiny GME TX3100 UHF CB into the little cubby under the display in the dash that does compass/clock, traction etc.  Small though the CB is, it was still a tight fit and I dismantled the display so I could cut the back out of the plastic, and also the metal case of the display.  There was just about enough room for the antenna connection to clear the tubular crossbar behind the dash, but the CB no fits flush with the dash.

What later occurred to me was that the steel case of the compass display is pretty all enveloping, and I started to think in terms of a Faraday Cage.  I guess that sounds a bit paranoid, but what I have done is place a 5W UHF transmitter immediately next to the circuit board.  I know that that 5W does not emanate from the radio, but there will still be IF radiating from within the radio.  The bottom line is that it 'seems' to be working OK, and AFAICK the compass is pointing in the right direction.  What has changed though, is that the radial lines between the compass points are not as well defined as they used to be.  Least ways I 'think' that is the case.

It won't brake my heart if I have compromised the compass, but it is still a genuinely useful tool even on tarmac, and definitely when deep off road (I live in New Zealand).

Incidentally, I worried for days about fitting a roof antenna, but it turned out to be a breeze to drop the front of the roof lining far enough to fit the base and cable.  I didn't even need to use any tricks.  Just reach in with my not very long arm.  The set up is working a lot better than the stubby bonnet mount I had previously been using for the last few years.  

I also took the opportunity, while the roof lining was down, of fitting a second powered USB socket next to the interior light (I already had one for a dash cam, but I can now use dashcam and GPS without power leads hanging down the windscreen.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Trevor Dennis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

A picture of the installation in the dash showing the corrupted compass display

Full Size Image
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the compass display correctly when the CB is switched off?
Trevor Dennis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete.  AFAICT the compass is showing correct whether the CB is switched on or not, but I am sure the display did not used to look like that.  This how I think it used to look (faked with Photoshop).   On occasions the compass asks me to drive in a tight circle to calibrate it.  I'd like to force a recalibration — is that doable?

Incidentally, I drove through some roadworks yesterday, where the traffic was controlled by two guys with stop/go signs.  As we passed the first Go sign, we heard on the CB  'Last one through is a red Pajero.  When we got to the other end I keyed and said 'Thanks guys, from the red Pajero'.  The look on the sign holders face was priceless!  Smile
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor Dennis wrote:
 I'd like to force a recalibration — is that doable?

If the display is showing interference with the CB on or off thenI think that removing the shielding may be allowing interference from something else in the dashboard - only a guess though, but maybe that is why it was shielded by Mitsy originally.

I had a GPS based speed trap detector that worked fine for years - until I fitted a new stereo near it and then it refused to lock on to any satellites.

Recalibration should be doable - it is on the MkII which involves holding down a button until the display changes and then driving round in circles. On yours I would think it is in a menu somewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Radio Communications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: