Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

96' Pajero hunting and odd idle issue

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Starting / running issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mitsurobbo

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

At work i was giving this some thought. When i did my intake over the weekend i didn't take the EGR off. So today i pumped a bit of oil out of the dipstick to level to keep an eye on that and thought it removed the EGR to see how caked up it was and clean it. I know it works as ive tested its operation but the shaft seemed to be sticky or operating slowly and as ive never cleaned it, thought it a good thing to do. However...

A previous owner had tried to blank the EGR with metal cut from what might be a biscuit tin. They hadn't even blocked off the exhaust side of the EGR pipe  Rolling Eyes  It had burned a hole through it and bits of charred metal and flakes of carbon were falling off it. So can only imagine where those pieces shrapnel ended up, but i wonder whether it has scored a valve or even a cylinder bore, which may be contribution to the oil level perhaps? I will have to get someone to perform a compression test for peace of mind.

A 'bodge it and leg it' pillock having previously owned your car doesn't exactly fill me with joy at 70 mph with my missus and kids on board...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 21:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - some previous owners cause more damage by bodging.

Did you smell the oil you pumped out? If there was any smell of diesel the I would suspect the front oil seal.
Mitsurobbo

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

No i didn't smell diesel oddly, but was a bit on the thin side. It wasn't milky or had and light streaks in it that may indicated head issues. I have that millers stuff in it as well which stinks, you can smell it as soon as you open the diesel filler cap and couldn't smell that. I have it at the correct level now and am tempted to change the oil regardless at the weekend. Could be a waste of money but its not too bad if i get to confirm the issue and i am not causing further damage.

Maybe its the beginning of the front seal issue and the oil isn't diluted enough for me to smell it, either that or it was over filled a bit which i can't dismiss but seems unlikely.

When i drove to work this morning after doing the reinstating the EGR's purpose after the bodge was discovered my idle is far better. It still pulsed for approximately 20 seconds when i first turned the key but then settled. Pulling up at junctions and lights was a smoother affair with a +- 50 to 100 rpm which i believe is close to mitsubishi's spec on the idle for these cars...

So to recap on what i have done.

Cleaned intake with the butterfly valve, housing and sensor that is screwed into the back of it. Repaired the gasket with gasket sealant then screwed the housings and pipes back together.
Reinstated EGR
Removed a bit of oil
Checked for Air going from filter housing and pump

I am worried about the oil level though but i'll monitor it over the next few weeks and i have a big book to use in case my engine decides its had enough and runs away and i will report back.

Thank you for your input Pete.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is running better then, as you say, just keep an eye on the oil level.

I am not sure if the EDC pump suffers as badly as the mechanical one with regards to the seal.

Just to put your mind at rest - I haven't read on here any examples of these engines running away.
vijay

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Pete but mind did - but somehow I manage to stall it. Scary when your car accelerates on it's own on the North Circular!!
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet that was scary Vijay!

I would have problems stalling my auto  Sad

One thing on my list of jobs is to make something that I can use to cut the air supply to the engine. Effort number 1 was a complete failure HERE
Mitsurobbo

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it was a partial success if it cuts the revs down. Although im not sure how you would get it to stop completely if air is getting in past the actuating valve thing. Do you still have it fitted?
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - I removed it and have got a couple of other ideas but have been busy with undersealing etc.
Mitsurobbo

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they best bet probably would be a C02 injection system in the intake. Rig it into the drivers foot well on the transmission tunnel or similar and plumb it into the intake, if she blows, pull pin and squeeze. Id be surprised if that hasn't be attempted before by someone... Especially those 'rolling coal' yank dragster abominations...
vijay

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
I bet that was scary Vijay!

I would have problems stalling my auto  Sad

One thing on my list of jobs is to make something that I can use to cut the air supply to the engine. Effort number 1 was a complete failure HERE

It was pure luck, no idea how I got it to stall - it probably (and luckily) stalled itself

You can buy a kit that has a butterfly to stop airflow and a remote switch for it
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

vijay wrote:

You can buy a kit that has a butterfly to stop airflow and a remote switch for it

Have you got a link for it? - save me making one.
vijay

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google "air intake shutoff valves". Like this http://www.chalwyn.com/products/air-intake-shut-down-valves
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vijay.
Mitsurobbo

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my idle issues are improved as i say but still occasionally acts up. So, I changed the fuel filter today as a matter of precaution in case of bad diesel. I had put 'no frills' supermarket diesel in before now and thought it would be worth a shot in case its clogged. The filter wasn't in bad condition, the elements were an off white colour with only minor flakes of red poo in the bottom which could be some organic growth on the plastic of the water sensor. Nothing i thought would contribute to any idling issues.

Anyways, after a few minutes of priming and bleeding, fumbling with the battery and trying to get the battery securing brace on she fired up without so much as a stumble. I know there is an idle learn procedure, but it would be useless as my A/C needs a re-gas but the compressor does switch on. I did it anyway...

Alas, any improvement i fear is a placebo and im convincing myself it is i think, the revs still dropped slightly on occasions.

I think everything needs to be perfect on these EDC pumps for them to operate as intended. I think i have a sensor issue somewhere.

There is an OBD port down on the accelerator pedal assembly which i reckon needs some complicated mitsubishi computer to correctly decipher and being a Jap import Pajero which didn't sell these EDC models in Europe, i think i can whistle for that...
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phone a few dealers and ask if their MUT can read an EDC model.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Starting / running issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: