eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

96' Pajero hunting and odd idle issue

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Starting / running issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wales660

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep try original back to see if engine check light goes out. Remember disconnect batteries to cancel the fault
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 15:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

RBZ

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plot thickens. I have replaced the old sensor on the vehicle and gone through the reset/relearn procedure after having disconnected the batteries. Just returned from a quick test run and all seems OK. The EML no longer lights so this would indicate that the replacement sensor is at fault. I shall use the truck for the next few days and see how the engine behalves.
Fingers crossed.

Ray
wales660

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Explanation for the events happening the new sensor must be out of scope (wrong sensor) which wont communicate with the ecu which has put up a fault to the ecu. Reason why your pajero is running fine
with the old sensor is that this sensor will communicate with the ecu so the default map is allowed to still run. Hence why the truck is running ok for now. I suspect it will start to play up in due course.

Annoyingly I too have purchased the cross reference sensor but never fitted  to date. I will have to try and send it back too.

Where I purchased mine it does say it cross references to the original sensor hopefully they will accept it back.

you gotta love the EDC pajero

Jeff
RBZ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just come in from the barn and the truck is running OK. No stuttering in P, R or D. Tick over is steady, we shall see tomorrow morning and evening when I take it out.
I was booking it in to have it looked at but I think I shall wait although I am needing an engine oil change along with an oil and fuel filter. I have three replacement clocks for the binnacle which need wiring and piping into the vehicle. All these issues will be done when I have proved or disproved the erratic running.

Ray
wales660

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets hope it behaves for you Very Happy
ryan1000

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wales 660 can you please put a pic up of the location of the parts you changed as mine is playing up too. Mine's been in the garage 6 months as I've been welding it some late nights after work. I'm new to the 2.8 as I've had a 2.5 for years. My symptoms are she starts no probs and goes well with bags of power but lumpy at idle around 600 rpm. Select drive revs drop again with revs bouncing
If I rev it when the revs come back down the revs drop to around 300 and almost cuts out
Some pics would be great new batteries and filters coming tomorrow so be doing the idle re learn too
wales660

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ryan

The poor idling,running of the EDC pajero doesnt always mean its directed at one component failure its generally a combination of things that can go wrong which contribute to the common complaint about the poor idling of the EDC 4M40.

I think most people are looking at this thread and thinking YES theres the solution to this annoying problem so many of us have to endure. My findings are only a guide of where to look-try etc. These are all based on my actual experiences resolving the issue. I have gone to great lengths to try and solve  and fortunately mine is running fine at the moment. Not to say I could go out and start mine today and be back to square one. Twisted Evil

Its no simple fix but I will try and help if I can.

Firstly if from cold start its misfiring and throwing black water out the exhaust I cured this by replacing the injectors.

Post a detailed account of whats actually happening with your pajero and I will try to help based on my experiences.

Jeff
ryan1000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to put the new batteries on tomorrow change fuel filter and air filter then do the idle re learn then take things from there.  It was idling a little rough when I first got it but with me disconnecting the batteries every time to move it to weld it I don't think that has helped it much. Let you know how it goes
ryan1000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished changing the pump seal as I had black oil in fuel filter after putting everything back it fired up straight away and idle is much better but it's still playing up when I rev it. As the revs a coming back down it drops to around 500 rpm judders then idles ok. After slight adjustment of the tps it seems to rev better but idle is too high. Also cleaned out egr and changed air and diesel filters also cleaned the orange thing and pipe on inlet manifold. Only thing I have not done is the idle relearn as I can't find a guide on the correct procedure for the 2.8 with edc pump so if anyone knows of be very gratefull
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a complete guess here, as I don't have an EDC version Pajero, have you tried cleaning the filter in the fuel tank, it's a pretty fine mesh affair and doesn't take much to clog it especially when you mention the mess you had in the pump. You could also check condition of the fuel pipes for corrosion and pinholes at the same time.., that would suck air ?
ryan1000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers kenthepipe that's one of the things I'm going to try but I was thinking about the filter in the tank, if it was down to fuel starvation then surely she wouldn't pull like a train if I take it for a run. It only seems to happen when stationary and when revved.  Do you know the idle re learn procedure I've tried the gdi one but did nothing
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Ryan, but as I said I'm not too aware of the EDC pump, however I found this post from here and thought it might help, although I can't find reference to the TPS adjustment for your spec. I would have thought if the TPS was at fault only gear changes would be affected,?.
There's two links in this post
http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=98584
TOMMYN

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I now take it that the replacement of the two sensors has finally sorted this problem at last.
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOMMYN wrote:
Do I now take it that the replacement of the two sensors has finally sorted this problem at last.

Agree, it would be good to know  !!  Rolling Eyes
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenthepipe wrote:
TOMMYN wrote:

Agree, it would be good to know  !!  Rolling Eyes

Unfortunately there are hundreds of posts on here where we never know the outcome  Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Starting / running issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: