2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Shogun Sport 03 plate - whistling Turbo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glent54321

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 13:55    Post subject: Shogun Sport 03 plate - whistling Turbo Reply with quote

So.. just had a full exhaust change, since having this done i get a high pitched whistle from the turbo at 2000rpm.

This whistle wasn't present before the exhaust change.

Prior to the exhaust change i had the engine management light on, fault codes : 12, 41, 49. So got a replacement Solenoid on order. the car wasn't affected and the light came on randomly.

So...Any ideas whats causing the whistling? I've read on here in previous post about over boost causing whistling and adjusting the 2 Allen bolts. On my car currently. the bolts are as follows:

Top 3/4 of the way screwed out
Bottom 3/4 of the way screwed in

If i need to adjust these, which do i adjust to sort out whistling?

Thanks,

Mike
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 13:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the whistling started after the exhaust change then it is something to do with the exhaust.

I'm not an expert on your model but when I changed my exhaust to a stainless steel one it whistled a bit - turned out to be the joint between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust needed some exhaust sealing paste and the bolts tightening fully.

Don't go adjusting stuff without proof that there is a problem - you need a boost gauge to actually see whether you have overboost - you probably haven't.
Glent54321

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did suspect the Exhaust also, seen as it started after the exhaust was fitted! I'll speak to the garage who fitted it and ask if they can get up and check the tightness and apply some/more exhaust paste if they haven't already.

The reason i asked about the turbo screws is, when i purchased the car, the chap mentioned having to spend hours sorting out the boost screws! It dosent seem to have any power atm when going up hill, just high pitch whistling and no go!
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glent54321 wrote:
the chap mentioned having to spend hours sorting out the boost screws!

That's the problem - once they have been fiddled with it is impossible to know where you are with them.

I am not overly sure on your model but I think it has the Variable Vane Turbo - the vanes tend to get gummed up and stick.

A past member on here said that if you hold the actuator shaft with a pair of mole grips and move the shaft in and out then it frees up the vanes - I've never done it but it might be worth a try.

Also - it may be that your waste gate is gummed up and not closing properly.
Glent54321

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it easy to remove the waste gate for cleaning? or any way of cleaning it in situ? also, any way of getting in to clean the actuator rod instead of giving it a wiggle in and out?

Thanks,

Mike
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glent54321 wrote:
is it easy to remove the waste gate for cleaning? or any way of cleaning it in situ? also, any way of getting in to clean the actuator rod instead of giving it a wiggle in and out?

Nope and Nope!!

I can only go by the turbo on my truck but the only way of getting to the waste gate was to remove the turbo.

It is the vanes that gum up (according to the bloke who said it. This is the photo he posted

That is assuming you have the same sort of turbo - like I said earlier, I am just repeating what a past member posted about boost problems on a Sport.
stevethresh

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise this is an old post but I'm hoping the oringinal poster might still get notified. Did you ever solve the problem as I've just run into the same. Replace the back box part of the exhaust and now get a whistling when revving above 2000 rpm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: