eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

2 stroke in diesel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drew m

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 16:39    Post subject: 2 stroke in diesel Reply with quote

Hi
For anyone mixing 2 stroke in diesel, this may be of interest,
Google: mixing 2 stroke in diesel, a technical study.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 16:39    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only looks at a 200:1 dosing ratio - I use more than that.

I will continue to use it.
drew m

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete
I  am using it faithfully, not so sure now, that's a pretty comprehensive test they've done there.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used it for 7 years - but I put more than 200:1 in mine.

I will continue with it - I would need more than one study to stop using it.
davembp

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

200ml with half tank fill up for me lol
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

davembp wrote:
200ml with half tank fill up for me lol

About the same as me.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to read in the study that emissions were unchanged. It's for reasons of emissions that I wouldn't add oil to my fuel. The 4M40 is dirty enough already.  Sad
assassin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually you're wrong Simon as the 4M40 was actually a very clean engine, even the MK III 4M41 from the year 2000 is still as clean or cleaner than most modern diesel engines.
Pajero James

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waste of time and money adding two stroke to a 4d56, 4m40 and 4m41.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

assassin wrote:
Actually you're wrong Simon as the 4M40 was actually a very clean engine, even the MK III 4M41 from the year 2000 is still as clean or cleaner than most modern diesel engines.

Interesting. I was judging by the fuel consumption. Surely a 2.8 that only manages about 20 mpg in a 4x4 can't be an efficient engine? And if it's not efficient, can it be clean?

Also, mine really smells strongly of vegetable oil when it's running on that. If it was efficient would so much residue remain in the exhaust?
assassin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it can be clean, remember the size of engine, its output, and the weight it is pulling. Recent studies have shown these engines are very clean for their day, and are still very clean today.

Veg oil? not a fan as they do not get complete combustion and incomplete combustion equals much higher emissions which include soot particles as the only visible indicator as you cannot see the NoX or other emissions, and the soot in the exhaust demonstrates this.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

assassin wrote:
Yes, it can be clean, remember the size of engine, its output, and the weight it is pulling. Recent studies have shown these engines are very clean for their day, and are still very clean today.

Interesting. I was comparing it with my Mercedes E320CDI, which gives around 35mpg in urban use (therefore ignoring aerodynamics). So that's a 42% improvement in fuel use for a weight difference of only 15%. As it's so much more efficient, surely it's got to be much cleaner too?
assassin wrote:

Veg oil? not a fan as they do not get complete combustion and incomplete combustion equals much higher emissions which include soot particles as the only visible indicator as you cannot see the NoX or other emissions, and the soot in the exhaust demonstrates this.

It's my guilty pleasure, but I console myself with the thought that it's not depleting fossil fuel.  If I couldn't use vegetable oil mix then it wouldn't make sense for me to keep the Challenger. I'd have to seriously consider something like an Outlander PHEV, which would suit my journeys well but wouldn't be any fun at all.
assassin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to check emissions is on the meter and fuel consumption has nothing to do with it.

Everything centres around the combustion of the fuel itself and nothing else, better combustion = more complete combustion and the better the combustion the cleaner the engine.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

assassin wrote:
The only way to check emissions is on the meter and fuel consumption has nothing to do with it.

Everything centres around the combustion of the fuel itself and nothing else, better combustion = more complete combustion and the better the combustion the cleaner the engine.

I didn't claim that you could measure emissions by fuel consumption. However to state, as I think you did, that fuel consumption and emissions are not related is simply not correct.  Fuel economy has a direct impact on emissions.
assassin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simon

Fuel economy has nothing to do with emissions, only fuel combustion has a direct relationship.

What you have to remember is that a 4X4 is driving a 4X4 transmission and you have the gearbox and an additional transfer case, in most models you are heaving around over 2 tonnes of metal with the aerodynamics of a pile of concrete blocks, most transmissions connect at the front axle so you are turning two propshafts in 2WD and all this additional friction saps power.

My 3.2 gets around 29 MPG knocking about and around 35/36 on the motorway, but I switch Cyril on (cruise control) and let the system do its thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: