Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Front brakes replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woodyjay100

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 22:22    Post subject: Front brakes replacement Reply with quote

Hello again guys I need to replace the front brakes, discs and pads, I have done zero work on this car before but I believe it’s a pig of a job, I have found many videos but all for newer models,
I have a 1997 Mitsubishi shogun 3.0 v6, does anyone have any advice for me or maybe a video or a good breakdown of how to do it, thanks again any help is greatly appreciated.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 22:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

hutchy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

changing the pads is straight forward like any motor but the discs are a bit like the old transit van...you will need to jack and support it remove the wheel on the end of the hub is a dome cap pry it of,you will see a c clip remove it along with a thin spacer then remove 6 bolts that go around the dome cap part once they are removed remove the flange you will then see 2 posi drive screws remove them the ring they go through needs to be removed once removed you will see the locking ring it has the 2 threaded holes for the posi screws but also 2 other holes put a posidrive screwdriver in one of those holes and see if you can unscrew the ring off if it does not come off you may need to use a drift and tap it until it screws off (you supposed to use a special tool) once the ring is off the disc and hub will pull off once the caliper and it,s mounting bracket are removed it maybe tight but that will be the inner bearing or seal in the hub nipping onto the inner shaft....the disc is held on with 6 bolts and nuts they will be tight if you have a vice clamp it in there,when the bolts are removed you might have to belt the disc off as they are a snug fit onto the hub,plus rust ......if you have abs,,on the rear of the disc you will see the abs ring remove it first to stop it getting damaged.....allow a few hours for each side if this is your first time  Wink
Woodyjay100

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mate a great help 👍🏻
ClappedOut

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headed down this same rabbit hole today on a Shogun Sport 3.0 Petrol.

I bought new Discs a while ago but only got round to it today.
Having poked around youtube there seem to be about 84 types of front hub but I eventually found one that looked the same.

So what I did was

Caliper off and hung up out the way
Caliper carrier off and a good wire brushing
Hub centre cap off
Odd spring clip removed (I had to make a tool to put this back on)
shims behind the spring clip retained ( I assume these set some sort of endfloat on the shaft )
removed two screws holding a locking plate onto the outer bearing and extracted the locking plate.
removed the threaded fitting by rotating the bit the scrrew had been locking, there is mention of a tool but two Allen keys made it turn.

Slid the whole lot off the hub whilst minding the bearing seals over the threaded stub end
ClappedOut

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting it back together was ok, spring clip was fiddly, must get a proper tool for that.

Is there a torque setting for the outer bearing locking plate ?

As its a taper roller I dont want to ruin it by running it too tight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: