Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Belts wearing quickly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
54shogun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 17:18    Post subject: Belts wearing quickly Reply with quote

Hello,

I have owned an Automatic, 54 plate, 3.2 DI-D Shogun LWB Warrior for a couple of years and know little about cars. Hopefully I've put this in the right place...

In March 2017 my two alternator belts snapped on the way to the airport (fortunately we just made it!). The belts were replaced on our return and life went on as normal. I had it serviced at a local garage in September but at least one of the belts (they thought the aircon) continued to screech from start until being driven a few miles (from memory this started a month or two sooner).

Then, a couple of weeks ago (10th Jan 2018) they snapped again. This time the break seemed very clean in comparison with no sign of wear. I do very little mileage (less than 2,000/year).

My garage are a bit stumped. They could see no problem with the pulleys and said their supplier will pay for replacement belts and labour if it happens again.

I've only driven the car a few times since then and last night - particularly when pulling away on a steepish hill, shortly after start-up - I heard a few all-to-familiar screeches from the belts when accelerating.

I'm reluctant to just leave it until they go again and I'm convinced it's going to happen sooner rather than later. If nothing has changed since last time then that seems inevitable. Is there anything that might be aggravating the issue that I can suggest to my garage to take a look at?

Thanks for reading.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 17:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the belts were overtightened when fitted.

Or they were cheap belts - I have got Gates belts on mine. They have been on for two years and not needed adjusting yet
54shogun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Pete.

Pretty sure these were Gates belts (invoice says v-belt 6266MC).

Over-tightening seems possible since they've said "it's about as tight as you'd want it to be" but they did feel it was within range. Perhaps I'll ask them to slacken it off and see what happens...
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Gates belt tension gauge - the twin belts don't need to be very tight.
hutchy

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use the old tried and tested method when tightening up a belt find the longest run of the belt and see if it twist through 90 degs if it does it,s tight enough.if it does not it,s to tight Wink
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two quick checks you can do yourself.  Shake the alternator to see if it is slack on it's mountings and thus creating pulley misalignment.

Look at the fit of the belts in their pulley V groove. The belt should be around flush with the top of the V groove, but defo not touching the root of the groove, as slippage will occur regardless of tension.

The screech comes from slippage of the belt under load of the alternator charging the battery following some battery drainage when starting the engine. This  slippage causes glazing of the belts and ongoing increased slippage.
skool

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

hutchy wrote:
i use the old tried and tested method when tightening up a belt find the longest run of the belt and see if it twist through 90 degs if it does it,s tight enough.if it does not it,s to tight Wink

As that tip is coming from you Mr Hutchy it’s good enough for me and thanks for the tip
54shogun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. Alternator appears secure and I could just about get 90 degrees out of the nearest belt. Wasn't quite sure about the positioning in the groove but it seems about flush with the top of the pulleys.

I suppose at the very least the belts would have had to be re-tightened when replaced simply to get them on and off so it's not in exactly the same state as last time (when perhaps they were overtightened). If that makes sense...

Will keep an ear out for more screeching and report back.

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: