QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Lambda sensor wiring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve_C

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:48    Post subject: Lambda sensor wiring Reply with quote

My Sport is showing a P0161 code, which is "O2 sensor heater circuit bank 2 sensor 2"

This appears to have no effect on the emissions as it flew through the MOT last year with no problem.  However, a previous owner has removed the EML bulb from the instrument cluster to mask the problem, which is relatively expensive to fix.  When I spoke to my local Mitsubishi dealer, they quoted for many hours labour and a new cat on the grounds that the sensor will be rusted solid into the cat pipe.

Given that the issue only affects the pre-heater circuit, I'm wondering if I can put a resistor in the circuit to mimic what the heather circuit would do.

Problem 1 - how to determine what the resistance would need to be.  Maybe measure it on O2 sensor heater circuit bank 1 sensor 2?
Problem 2 - what colour wires am I looking for to measure on bank 1, and what colour wires do I need to hack into on bank 2?
Problem 3 - how to persuade our tame electronics fella at work to provide the requisite components in a format I can do something with? (Probable solution = beer)

Can anyone please point me at a suitable wiring diagram - 2006 V6 petrol
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

towball

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

I don't recall this being a failure, however there is a new version of the MOT manual in draft which is due in May 2018.
The dealer is just alarming you. I have changed these when the have been in the exhaust for over 15 Years. The trick is to get the exhaust hot use a good penetrating oil like Plus gas or similar (Not WD40).
If it does not loosen on the first attempt do it again. I had one take me 5 attempts but is came out. Buy the replacement from Milner of similar. If you can't do this yourself go to a local independent garage who you can trust, but it would still be better for you to soak it in penetrating oil for a while before you take it to them.

Jason
Steve_C

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jason,

My understanding (and I'm happy to be corrected) is that the EML would be an MOT fail under the new rules, so logically they must have to check that it lights up when the key is turned on startup.  I'm assuming that if the light isn't visible at all that it would be a fail because the EML isn't operating.  If I put the bulb back in without changing the sensor, it will be on permanently.  The sensor is £250 ish from Mitsubishi (can't remember if that's including VAT), so I'm just looking for a cheap and easy way to bypass the heater element and put the EML out.

I do know a trustworthy independent run by a former Mitsubishi tech, so that's where it will go if I get it done, but I wouldn't have any idea which sensor to spray the plusgas on.
towball

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 14:01    Post subject: EML Light Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

The O2 sensor should be in the exhaust pipe and your friendly local ex Mitsubishi tech should be able to point you in the right direction. I have to say thought £250 for one is daylight robbery, that's why most on here refer to them as "Main dealers"

Have you tried sourcing it somewhere else?

I have seen people bypass the light using a 12V timed relay that switches on with the ignition and off after a few seconds. There are some videos on Youtube - 12V Relay with timer which might be worth a look.

Jason
Steve_C

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did consider some sort switch to control the EML, but if I'm going to mess with it I might as well do it in such a way that a new problem will bring the light on, which is why I was looking at just bypassing the problem heater circuit.

I know that the sensor is after the cat in the exhaust, but there are two cats and I don't know which is bank 2.
towball

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 13:31    Post subject: EML Light Reply with quote

Steve,

Bank one should be on the left as you look at it from the front of the car, Bank 2 on the right. Bank 1 is as far as I know the bank that contains cylinder number 1.

Regards,

Jason
Steve_C

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jason - I'll work on that basis unless it gets proven otherwise!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: