Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

New MOT rules and EGR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gallante

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 16:37    Post subject: New MOT rules and EGR Reply with quote

As from 20th May the new MOT rules come into force. A Major fault resulting in an MOT fail will be the removal or modification of the EGR valve. My 1991 Pajero was bought with the EGR blanked off, does this mean I am in the market to buy a new EGR before it's next MOT Question
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 16:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 18:17    Post subject: Re: New MOT rules and EGR Reply with quote

gallante wrote:
does this mean I am in the market to buy a new EGR before it's next MOT Question

Yep - if it was originally fitted with one then it has to be there according to the garage who does my MOTs.
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
where did you see new rules about EGR?

I have read a lot so far on new MOT rules but so far I have not seen any mention of egr s

All I have seen is about DPF
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

emax wrote:
Hello
where did you see new rules about EGR?

I have read a lot so far on new MOT rules but so far I have not seen any mention of egr s

All I have seen is about DPF

I specially went down to see the bloke who does my MOTs to ask him about the changes.

He said he will do a visual check to see if the EGR valve is present but he wouldn't check if there was a blanking plate between the valve and the manifold.

Mine is booked in on 7th June (with EGR valve fitted)
rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

The testing manual is (and always has been) freely available on the Government web site: https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class3457/

8.2.2.1 Exhaust emission control equipment

You only need to check components that are visible and identifiable, such as diesel oxidation catalysts, diesel particulate filters, exhaust gas recirculation valves and selective catalytic reduction valves.

If a diesel particulate filter has clearly been cut open and rewelded, you should reject it unless the vehicle presenter can show evidence that there was a valid reason to cut it open, such as for filter cleaning.
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I found

8.2.2 Compression ignition engine emissions
8.2.2.1 Exhaust emission control equipment

You only need to check components that are visible and identifiable, such as diesel oxidation catalysts, diesel particulate filters, exhaust gas recirculation valves and selective catalytic reduction valves.

But then there is this

Defect Category

Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer missing, obviously modified or obviously defective.  Major.

scratch

dontknow
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems you found it before me

Laughing  Laughing
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mot  passed this week with no mention of missing EGR. Although I did get an advisory for having grease on the brake pipes scratch
JPB

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless a JDM import was newer than ten years of age when imported to the UK, then emissions are tested on a visible smoke only basis and such equipment as EGR valves become irrelevant in this situation. A newer (at the time of UK registration) JDM vehicle will have been through IVA so you'll know that way whether yours needs the EGR valve.

I'd be more concerned about testers who - for example - use section six to notify of excess corrosion in body "mounts" on unitaries where no such things exist per se..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: