Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Losing coolant from here.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phatwheels

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 15:02    Post subject: Losing coolant from here. Reply with quote

A great big sunny afternoon to you all.
I am losing my cool, and my coolant from the bottom bolt circled in the attached pic

(https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XX1ZIlOVvQkzRZyjCAfE6lJqi0zrUbdk/view?usp=sharing)

its the big hose from the rad that looks like it goes in towards the side of the block. its clearly got a gasket on it which im assuming has failed.

Will i have to drain the entire cooling system to replace this gasket?
or can i unclip and prop the hose upwards while i unbolt and replace the gasket?

Cheers,
Tom-

Also, side note, this liquid has NO colour to it whatsoever, looks and smells just like water, should it? its just been replaced by the garage when they did my belt+Water pump and they've charged me for coolant... im almost tempted to drain the system because of this anyway
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 15:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Phatwheels

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so its official name is the water inlet fitting gasket, and I don’t appear to have one - unbolted the housing and no gasket there at all!?

Anyone know where I can find one? Or make one from? Ive searched high and low.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may have an O ring instead, if it is an O ring and it has rotted you can use a gasket or O ring to seal it.
Phatwheels

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok thanks for clearing that up, i thought it needed a gasket also, mine has an o-ring for sure. I tried cleaning both surfaces and using some instant gasket too but now it leaks worse than it did before.

my o-ring seems VERY flush with the metal too so i wonder if its been compressed too far at some point in the past. The rubber on this one for sale at mitzybitz seems mega beefy compared to mine.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122992676108

So i think i'll just opt for replacing the thermostat and o-ring.

Thanks again.
assassin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people replaced them with a thinner section O ring which did the job for a while, but you do need the thicker section O ring to seal it properly as it compresses to give a much wider footprint and better sealing when torqued to the correct spec.
Phatwheels

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Assassin, however the saga continues - replaced the thermostat with a clearly much better seal, but still leaking.

Further exploration I found its actually leaking from the neck of the steel pipe coming out the top of the housing, this pipe goes towards the oil cooler, but I can't find a part anywhere online, can anyone tell me what this part is called or point me in direction of one please?

how does this connect to the housing? is it just threaded?

[img]https://ibb.co/e75fGy[/img]
Simon_W

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phatwheels wrote:

how does this connect to the housing? is it just threaded?

[img]https://ibb.co/e75fGy[/img]

Better as an image:

Phatwheels

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magician! No idea how you did that, I inserted image and linked it. Oh well, thanks!
Simon_W

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phatwheels wrote:
Magician! No idea how you did that, I inserted image and linked it. Oh well, thanks!

The file sharing site you're using doesn't generate links for bulletin boards and forums. I downloaded the image and made it available through another service.

If you use Imgur, you'll be able to post images on this forum.      https://imgur.com/
Phatwheels

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mate.

If you know what the metal pipe is you can make it a hat-trick of answers...
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phatwheels wrote:
Cheers mate.

If you know what the metal pipe is you can make it a hat-trick of answers...

I'm not familiar with the 4D56 engine, but if it's similar to the 4M40 in this respect then it's the coolant by-pass pipe.  It goes into the thermostat housing and is sealed with an O-ring.

Double-check, but I am pretty sure that the O-ring part number is MD030763. Or is it the pipe itself that's corroded?
Phatwheels

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds like the boy.

no the pipes aren't corroded, is this a thread or push fit or something else? its pretty easy to access to is it easy to replace?

I've a feeling the o-ring might be missing - i recently took the car for a Timing belt and WP, and afterwards, having had this leak and investigating, have found so much poo work by the garage - the 4 bolts holding the thermostat housing to the waterpump - 2 were only finger tight and 1 had its thread stripped, just sat in the hole essentially. replaced the knackered bolt with a longer one which has luckily managed to reach some untouched thread in the hole and get a good grip, nipped up the other 2 loose bolts as well. (thought this could be the cause of the leak but unfortunately it wasn't).

so yeah, if the garage had to dismantle this section there's a good chance they may have forgot to put that o-ring back, could of course also be pure co-incidence.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all sounds like why I dislike using garage services unless I absolutely have to!  Rolling Eyes

I doubt if the O-ring is missing, but it's a specific one for this application. If they just took one out of a box of assorted O-rings, it will probably leak.  These pipes are a push-fit, but are usually secured with a bracket somewhere.

If you want a look at the coolant system diagram, then try this link:  https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/mitsubishi/pajero-montero-sport-4376.   I think yours is a K94. You might be able to match the codes up with an ID plate on the bulkhead if there is one.
hutchy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

it,s a push fit with an o ring problem is most aftermarket thermostat kits will come with the o ring but they tend to be to big which is either a pain to push the pipe in or they get damaged allowing coolant to leak or they are to small your probably better off buying a one from Mitsubishi that way you know it,s right and smear a bit of coolant on the new o ring or silicone spray or grease  Wink
Phatwheels

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
That all sounds like why I dislike using garage services unless I absolutely have to!  Rolling Eyes

I doubt if the O-ring is missing, but it's a specific one for this application. If they just took one out of a box of assorted O-rings, it will probably leak.  These pipes are a push-fit, but are usually secured with a bracket somewhere.

If you want a look at the coolant system diagram, then try this link:  https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/mitsubishi/pajero-montero-sport-4376.   I think yours is a K94. You might be able to match the codes up with an ID plate on the bulkhead if there is one.

absolute legend, Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: