Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Wheel spacers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halliggye

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:34    Post subject: Wheel spacers Reply with quote

Hi

I'm considering spacing my wheels out a little to increase the track for confidence in stability and to be honest a bit of the look too.

Does anyone have experience of what product to use etc or indeed opinions into the folly or merit of such an undertaking?

Thoughts please Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put 30mm spacers ('Bulldog' brand) on my 1996 Challenger a couple of years ago. They cost £89.99 inc VAT, delivered.  I'm really pleased with them.  They've brought the sidewall of the tires (31x10.5 R15) out to the edge of the wheel arches and have greatly improved the look of the vehicle.  I've experienced no downsides, and have driven many thousands of miles in all sorts of conditions.

Of course, your vehicle might have different wheels and tyres sizes.

PS You may find other members on here suggesting that you should fit 'hubcentric' spacers. IMO it's a red herring.  Hubcentric spacers don't support the weight of the vehicle on their spigots, which simply serve to locate the wheel prior to the lug nuts being tightened for those vehicles with them. On ours, the stud remains in the hub and the wheel is located by them.
Halliggye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
I put 30mm spacers ('Bulldog' brand) on my 1996 Challenger a couple of years ago. They cost £89.99 inc VAT, delivered.  I'm really pleased with them.  They've brought the sidewall of the tires (31x10.5 R15) out to the edge of the wheel arches and have greatly improved the look of the vehicle.  I've experienced no downsides, and have driven many thousands of miles in all sorts of conditions.

Of course, your vehicle might have different wheels and tyres sizes.

PS You may find other members on here suggesting that you should fit 'hubcentric' spacers. IMO it's a red herring.  Hubcentric spacers don't support the weight of the vehicle on their spigots, which simply serve to locate the wheel prior to the lug nuts being tightened for those vehicles with them. On ours, the stud remains in the hub and the wheel is located by them.

Thanks for the info.  

Are these the ones?
Wheel Spacer Link
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased these, but I suspect they are exactly the same item as in your link above:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bulldog-Mitsubishi-L200-Wheel-Spacers-4-x-30mm-Japanese-6-Stud-/130752546338
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the 30mm spacers fitted, the tyres now fill the wheel arches. So much better! Very Happy

Halliggye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Smile

Ta for the info, one thing, do you need spigot rings with them or no?

M
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halliggye wrote:

Ta for the info, one thing, do you need spigot rings with them or no?

No need for spigot rings, IMO they are a waste of money. The studs will locate and hold the spacers and wheels in the correct position.

Make sure the surfaces are clean and free of corrosion. I wire-brushed the wheels and hubs before fitting the spacer rings, and put a smear of copper grease on the mating surfaces.  The spacers came with advice to use thread locker and then torque to 95-100 ft/lbs, which I followed.

Just one word of warning - as it is a modification to the vehicle, you should notify your insurers.  Otherwise if you have an accident they could use it as an excuse not to pay out.  I'm with Adrian Flux and they accepted the addition of spacers without question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: