QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Best tyre brand / availability?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPB

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:07    Post subject: Best tyre brand / availability? Reply with quote

As title. The mini came with 185/65% tyres fitted and, although these give it decent enough feel and good ride comfort, I want to make more use of the car so the fact that the correct (175/82%) tyres will reduce engine speed from "Ouch, this really hurts my ears" to "nice noise, where are the large motorcycles that ought to be behind it?" (6000 to a much kinder 5500rpm at the tiny truck's comfortable cruising speed of 60mph).

This plan has been on my mind since I haggled the asking price of my mini down on the basis of the tyres' incorrect sizing, and now I'm ready to make the purchase as a neighbour has a Citroen Nemo motorhome that uses the 185/65% rubber and mine are all still pretty much unworn as the mini has only covered 4000 KM since I bought it back in April, so I'll be fitting the 185s to her van and then taking the mini's wheels down the road to use a friend's fitting & balancing rig once I have my 175/82s.

There would appear to be only two makes in this size, though as the entry level versions of the new shape Jimny use them, I expect other tyre brands to become available once Suzuki's new product starts to sell in the sorts of quantities that it's sure to do, unless of course all of its buyers opt for the alloys with the 205s..
So as it is, my choices are between the Yokohama (as found on the back door in usable condition which would give me a matching set of the five) or the Nankang (sp?).
I'm veering toward the Yokohamas as they worked well for me on the kittens in a 165/70%/10" but they were semi slicks, only just road legal and used primarily for the track work, only seeing mud when I was coming back home after an event, so I'm open to other ideas.

I've found three sources of the Yokos in the mini's size and rather more outlets that can supply the cheaper Nankangs, but both are available, the question being which would others on these boards recommend? I've read of the Nankangs' tendency to hold on well for most of the time but to break away suddenly, this doesn't put me off as  the mini slides at the slightest hint of surface water and is ridiculously easy to catch when it tries to trick me like that. The Yokohama costs at least an extra £4 per tyre and my thinking is that they'll be well worth it, but the thoughts of folk who've already used one or the other will need to be taken into account before I make an order.

Thanks in advance,
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

JPB

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

No? OK, it's academic now as the Geolandars are nla in a 175/80 and at a 185/80 I can get some decent all season, M&S rated van tyres that will fit safely and without rubbing at full lock, improve (raise) the gearing further still as well as being sustainable in the event of my needing any more.. Cheaper too, but better rated for wet work and fuel consumption, if probably a little hard on the ride since they're aimed more at vans weighing upwards of 2000Kg than Kei class 4x4s weighing 850Kg wet through!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: