eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Shogun Rear light cluster new lights added

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simonfathead

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 14:00    Post subject: Shogun Rear light cluster new lights added Reply with quote

Hi just finished my latest mod. I was reading on here and came across someone that had added the extra lights to the rear (raised) clusters the ones with reverse and 1 fog light, so i thought i could do that. I was so surprised at how easy it was and it looks much better having an extra side/brake and extra fog light fitted (i like it even).

What i used was

2 x light wiring looms from a broken shogun. There was 2 light bulb holders in the loom, 1 bay15d and 1 bau15s. I know the 3.2 did has wedge bulbs but i couldnt find the holders for them.

2 x bay15d light bullbs
1 x bau15s light bulb
solder
phase tape

I then removed the light clusters, filed down the edges and drilled a 25mm hole in the plastic. Then file the slots for bulb holders, the only problem i had was i couldnt lock them into place the plastic in the cluster was too thick, but they are a tight fit so should be ok time will tell. Once i had filed and fitted the 3 bulbs (2 brake/side and 1 fog) then started the wiring. Luckly the wiring for these lights is already in place and wired into the socket already fitted to the light cluster.

I then removed the pins from the old socket (from the scrap car) and found out which wire powers what

Looking into the socket of the light cluster (not the one on the car) pins are

SIDE               BRAKE                REVERSE

EARTH             INDICATOR         FOG

Pushed the pins into the correct hole small click and they are firmly in place. I did have to extend the brake/side light wires as they were too short.

tested the lights on the car and screwed them back into place

Now i have 2 reverse lights (wedge bulbs) 2 brake/side lights (bayonet bulbs) and 2 fog lights (1 wedge and 1 bayonet) (same brightness) in the upper clusters.

Here is the origianl link from 8 years ago with pictures

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=107973&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 14:00    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simonfathead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE

just replace the brake / stop lights with leds looks great on the bench but unfortantly they dont work when fitted to the car, must need a load resistor fitted! It's a shame as there is no reflector in there the leds worked better at the light shines straight out when a normal bulb needs the reflection. Oh well the normal bulbs do work so back to them.

I also fixed the twist lock problem, I replaced the rubber seal around the bulb holder with a thinner one and now the holder twists and locks into place.
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refitted with normal halogen bulbs, the shogun must have a blown bulb sensor or something as the halogens work great, leds don't. If i put an led in the fog light they work but there is a brightness diference between the 2 sides so 21w halogen (BAU15S) matches the wedge shaped fog bulb on the drivers side. It is funny though how the passenger side only has one light (reverse) and nothing else and the drivers has 2 (Reverse and fog) but if you drill them out the fog light position on the passenger side it has a reflector fitted in the cluster but the big red brake light area doesn't, must be a cost saving exercise!
Chappy808

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job there mate, really like it.  thumbup …..Been thinking about doing it to my SWB Shogun. Just not sure about the wiring  Confused  

I've seen these on eBay ………..  Smoked Red LED Tail lights for MITSUBISHI PAJERO 00-06 NM NP Taillight

Been thinking about getting a pair in red. I know they are expensive but they look great - I think so anyway. You would have an extra set of indicators as well.   Smile  but no fog light.

These would be a great match for my front lights that I brought from the same place as the rear lights listed above.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1830/43363545101_12e3b1873c_c.jpg
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply it has been done loads of times but thought i would revamp it. The wires were already there, the light cluster socket only had fog and reverse (drivers side) wires but from the car to the socket everthing on both sides. Fog, reverse, indicator, brake and side, i did think about a new cluster but i like the way it is and the reverse lights actually work as i can see behind me when reversing. The mk 2 i had was rubbish till i added 2 decent lights. But i have thought about adding indicators in with the reverse lights as they wont be on together.

Love the headlights i bet they weren't cheap!!

Thats another project
Kehhlyr

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 21:56    Post subject: Dragging up an old thread.. Reply with quote

Simonfathead wrote:
<SNIP>......... But i have thought about adding indicators in with the reverse lights as they wont be on together.  <EndSnip>

I finished the rear light mod/conversion on mine a few weeks back.
Took some ideas from this thread, and modern cars.

On my rear light clusters (the ones on the body), I have: Sidelights, indicators, reverse, brake, and fog lights.
The sidelight/brakes share the same holder in the middle of the cluster.
The fog is atthe lowest point where it's always been.
The Indicator AND reverse share the same bulb and holder thanks to modern cars.

I have used 'Switchback' LED bulbs for the reverse and indicator, so the reverse light turns on as normal but automatically turns off when the indicator is activated.
The only time I could see this as being a problem is if you have to reverse while having the hazard lights on.

The switchback type are most commonly used as front DRLs, but with replacement holders bought, and a LOT of fettling and colourful metaphors I was able to get them fitted into the rear clusters.
They are not load resisted, so still have very little current draw. My towing ability with the bulb failure notification still works too, it's quite literally as if the car is not aware they are there.
Bonus as well, it passed the MOT with the bumper lights completely covered. (It failed on sharp edge of light due to split bumper cluster)
I do have a video on the tube of you butnot sure how to post it on here.

/edit
managed to find the button to post youtube vids.

Warning, video contains hairy fat guy.

Simonfathead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good i did look at the switchback lights but to be honest i gave up with it cause i didnt want to change the bulb holders from single to double fittings (old style ba15s and 15d not sure what the wedge shape bulbs are called)

But good job looks great, do your brake lights (raised) meant to flash ?
Kehhlyr

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

My high level brake light is supposed to flash, 4 times fast, 4 slow, then stay on.
It was one of the first things I did as the standard brake lights in the bumper are (as we all know) absolutely inadequate for the size of the car.
Especially as most people would expect the clusters on the side to light up.
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have just bought a flasher unit for the upper brake light but after i ordered it i found out its only for leds my upper brake lights are halogen  Embarassed so just ordered some red t10s to fit in there are your ones leds?
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is a good mod and looks better its a shame there is no reflector in the unit for the brake lights but they seem to work ok even better at night though, just been looking at the switchback lights i saw them before but wasnt sure how good they would be as at the moment I have super bright reversing lights fitted and trying to decide if the switchback ones will still be bright?

What have you got fitted for the brake lights halogen or leds? I couldn't get leds to work right. The closest i got was side lights on brake lights worked, side lights off brake lights didnt work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: