QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Black smoke from Pajero

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenPaj

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 22:38    Post subject: Black smoke from Pajero Reply with quote

Hi I’m new to this forum.

My pajero is chucking out black smoke under hard acceleration. Driving normal it doesn’t seem bad but just when you have to put your foot down. It’s smoke free on tick over.

Any ideas on what can be the cause?

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 22:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black smoke is from burned diesel but with insufficient air, resulting in a rich mixture when the peddle is down. You don't say what model, but clean the EGR valve first. If it's an older model the soot with gather in the exhaust system and is ejected by the high rush of gases under these conditions.

Be sure your air cleaner is not dirty.  Find a clear and safe section of road and floor the pedal in say 3rd until the smoke clears, then see how the normal drive emission is when accelerating.

Let's know what you find.
BenPaj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it’s a 1995 pajero 2.8 diesel

I tried messing with the EGR valve earlier but it was already blanked over and ended up snapping one of the bolts on the manifold end in the process but doesn’t seems to have effected it. My EGR valve was just black inside which obviously doesn’t help.

Normal driving the truck doesn’t smoke bad it’s just when you accelerate hard. It doesn’t really bother me to be fair I just wondered if it was anything major? And would it fail an MOT?

Thanks
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Trekker said - check your air filter is clean.
BenPaj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete

One of the previous owners has obviously beat me to it and put a plate over the EGR but it does have a tiny hole in the plate, the EGR itself is black inside with soot. I’ve checked the air filter and it seems clean but I have ordered a fuel air and oil filter for piece of mind anyway so I will see if that changes things.

I’m a new owner you see so I don’t know much about these 4x4s. Truck runs great and I’ve only bought it for winter months.

Do you think thetiny hole in the plate could be an issue?

Thanks
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenPaj wrote:

Do you think thetiny hole in the plate could be an issue?

I doubt it.

It maybe worth removing the large pipe from the turbo to the intercooler and checking if there is a lot of oil in the intercooler. There will be a thin film as that is normal.

While the pipe is off check for play in the rotor of the turbo - front to back and side to side.

Report back and let us know hat you find.
BenPaj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll try that when I can and let you know

Cheers
BenPaj

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, taken the pipe off the turbo heading towards the inter cooler,everything look fine in that area, there’s a thin film of oil like you said and a thin film of oil in the turbo aswell but nothing major, doesn’t look asif it’s blocking or any lumps of soot.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I am not sure why it has a small hole in the EGR valve blanking plate, it doesn't need one.

Three things you can try - in order of easiness:

(1) Try a good quality injector / fuel system cleaner.

(2) Put a blanking plate on which hasn't got a hole in it.

(3) Remove the blanking plate (and the plug in the vacuum pipe if present). Then clean the EGR valve and put back to standard.

Mine is also a 1995 2.8 and produces no smoke at all - it has a standard EGR valve set up which I clean every year. I also use a fuel system cleaner regularly.

In my local car accessory shop I have seen that they sell a bottle of stuff that claims to stop diesels smoking - it's probably just a fuel system cleaner.

There are loads of threads on here from people with the same / similar problem -CLICK HERE
BenPaj

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. No it’s a Tiny hole what the heat of the gases has made over the years probably what’s burnt the plate abit and made a tiny hole.

I did remove the plate at first and put EGR back on to standard but the engine ran very lumpy, was fine on tick over but soon as you touched the accelerator it didn’t like it so I put the plate back on.

Yes going to do all the filters at the weekend and buy some injector cleaner
BenPaj

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

What’s the best way to clean the EGR valve aswell?

Thanks
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a degreaser like Gunk and a paintbrush and keep washing it with water and repeating till it is clean.

The first time it took a while but doing it yearly now takes 10 minutes.

Before:

After:

BenPaj

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers

I’ll give that a god aswell  Very Happy
BenPaj

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete,

Can you give me an insight on how to flush the radiator and engine block when you have a minute? I noticed on a thread you had an input with someone asking and a diagram of the engine block bolt. I can’t seem to find the post now and you seem to know what your on about as I’ve just got my pajero and not much mechanical experience but I’m confident I can do the flush with the right instructions. I’m planning on doing this weekend as radiator cap is abit Brown not sludgy just service rust.

Thanks
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing I do is get the engine warm and then remove the bottom radiator hose to drain the radiator - careful not to scald yourself.

I then refill with tap water and add Holts RadFlush and run the engine for however long it says in the instructions on the bottle.

I then drain it again by removing the lower radiator hose and then drain the block using the block drain plug near the oil filter.

You will need a socket on a long extension bar to reach it from underneath the truck - it will be hot so get ready to move out of the way.

If nothing comes out then use a long screwdriver to clear the crud in the hole.

Replace the block drain plug and bottom radiator hose.

As for refilling - I add 4.5L of concentrated Bluecol and top up with distilled water. That gives a 50/50 mix as the system holds about 9.5L.

Some people get air locks - but I never have. Once the radiator is full I start the engine and let it tick over and add distilled water as the level goes down. Check the level for a couple of days afterwards and top up with distilled water.

Don't forget to empty and clean the expansion tank and fill it to the MAX mark with 50/50 coolant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: