2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Black smoke from Pajero

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has a new radiator and I change my coolant every year - it is still blue when I drain it.

If yours goes discoloured (brown/ rusty) then it may need doing again in a few months. Most people don't worry about it being a bit brown but it annoys the hell out of me !  Very Happy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 18:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

NDZ

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was flushing mine out recently I finally got round to that block drain plug and nothing came out, it had been drained at the lower rad then flushed to and fro and but there was no still water in there. I was a bit more ghetto with my approach, dishwasher tablet left in for a day running round with no thermostat but I was going to replace the rad anyway so was mostly just concerned with engine and heater pipes, all seemed acceptable.

Pete, isn't it worth mentioning the thermostat at this point? If BenPaj hasn't figured out (no offence) how it sits in the equation and also the engine I just thought this could be a bit confusing with regards to a cold flush on the engine side. Not sure if he was asking about a flush meaning drain and refill or running a hose pipe through the system. Anyway the best advice I got before tackling the job was to cover up the alternator with a plastic bag before removing the thermostat, that saved a lot of swearing!
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing came out of my block drain plug the first time I did it - had to clear it by pushing a screwdriver in the hole until it loosened all the crud in it.

I assumed the OP was just doing a flush rather than using a hose pipe. You are right in saying that the thermostat has to come out if you are using a hose as the cold water will close the thermostat and stop the water flowing through the system.

That's why I always drain mine when the engine is hot as the thermostat will be open.

I must admit that I don't use a hose any more - flushing it every year with RadFlush keeps it clean.
NDZ

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks for the tip, looking back I didn't poke the drain as there was a few drops came out then stopped which made me think that was the end but of course it could still be plugged, will put it on the list of jobs. I tried the hose flush in every permutation I could think of and nothing spectacular came out but I think the engine side was pretty clean anyway so its probably wiser to use a regular chemical flush and let the system push it around for you.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a lot comes out when you clear the blockage - a few litres.

I am working on the yearly flush method to stop stuff building up in the system - it's not a difficult job, certainly easier than messing around with hose pipes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: