Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Suggestions for preventive maintenance for 92 JDM Pajero

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Belchertown Pajero

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 16:18    Post subject: Suggestions for preventive maintenance for 92 JDM Pajero Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I’m in the U.S. but figured I’d come to the knowledgeable people about my 1992 JDM Pajero.  I purchased a 1992 LWB 2.5 turbo diesel about a year ago.  It only has 57000 km on it now and I purchased it with 51000 km.  I had the fluids checked and two oil changes but that’s about it.  I’m going to have the timing belt changed as I have no idea what maintenance was preformed prior to my purchase.  The Pajero was shipped from Japan a month before I purchased it.  Truck is is immaculate condition and the engine was spotless when I bought it.
My question to everyone is what should I consider replacing on such an older vehicle with no known maintenance history?  Like I said I’m going to have the timing belt replaced, along with the fuel filter, but any other preventative maintenance I should preform on known issue areas.
A quick summary of what I expect out of my Pajero.  I have stage 4 cancer and will be lucky to live more than a year.  As soon as I get my strength back in my legs, prior treatment destroyed my nerves in my legs but should be better in 2-4 months, I want to drive my Pajero from the East coast of America to the West coast to off road in Arizona, Utah, Colorado and other states.  I’ll be outfitting the Pajero for camping and off-roading but general maintenance is my question for this post. I know the 2.5 diesel is a very reliable engine but since diesels were never sold in the U.S. I need to make sure I preform all preventative maintenance issues possible.  I don’t mind paying for reliability.  While I’m not rich I also can’t worry about a few thousand dollars for piece of mind.  I also can’t take it with me and my daughter will be set as I paid off the house and have no debt.
Sorry for long post but looking for suggestions on what areas I should replace or upgrade with newer parts.
Thanks in advance.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 16:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Riller78

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Belchertown!  Fellow JDM Pajero importer here.  I just took delivery of a '93 2.8L with the XR-II package (short wheelbase) here in Graham, North Carolina.  I'm kind of at the same point as you.  It's not even registered here yet (waiting for inspection appointment) but I already have a new fuel filter, oil filter, Royal Purple 10W-30 and GL-5 gear oil, K&N air filter, and OST timing chain kit.  I've got a valve cover gasket kit on the way for when I do the timing kit.  Mine has about 240k km on the odometer but is in great shape otherwise.  For yours, I would have the suspension checked out if you haven't already.  Some of the bushings may need to be replaced just due to age.

Here are some resources that have helped me out for locating and getting parts here in the US:

partsouq - helpful for looking up part numbers
oilfilter-crossreference - good for finding filters from domestic manufacturers.  See also airfilter-crossreference and fuelfilter-crossreference

I'm trying to get all of this big maintenance done so I can feel like I can drive it worry-free for a while.  Let me know how your project is progressing.  On a side note, cancer sucks and keep fighting.  It took my father from me when I was in my 20s.  Just keep taking it day by day.
Dougelove

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome from acroythe pond! These guys are wonderful and helpful. Have resolved all my issues. Merry Christmas.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

The resident expert on long distance travel in a Mk1 Pajero is Trekker. Maybe he missed your post, as I did.  

It sounds like a great trip you've got planned.  If I was doing this in a 28-year-old vehicle this is what I'd think of doing:

Replace the top and bottom radiator hose, plus heater hoses
Replace fuel hoses and check that the metal fuel lines are in good condition. If not, replace with fuel hose or nylon
Check fuel filler pipe for rust or mud build-up
Replace all flexible brake pipes
Check all boots on ball joints
Grease all ball joints
Grease all universal joints
Check CV joint boots. If in any doubt remove, repack CV with grease and fit new boots
Check play in front wheel bearings. Adjust if necessary
Check brake pads/shoes/disks for wear and replace as necessary.
Drain and replace brake fluid
Drain and replace coolant
Fit new water pump and thermostat
Fit a decent set of AT tyres
Replace all ancilliary belts. Make sure they are correctly tensioned.
Fit new battery
Change oil and oil filter
Fit new wiper blades
Upgrade headlight bulbs with LEDs

Consider also what you might take as spares. You'll know that the petrol version was sold in the USA as the Dodge Raider, so non-engine parts are fairly easily obtainable from the likes of Rock Auto. Diesel spares won't be so easy, so maybe take a gasket set with you?

Good luck and keep us posted.
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good list of must do from Simon.

There are two timing belts, and belt tensioners must be changed at the same time.

Carry two spare wheels with good tyres.

A high capacity tyre air pump. Take a can of tyre inflator /sealant. A strong reliable jack and sand block.

Never have less than 20 litres of drinking water, you may need half of this for the cooling system if a hose or radiator springs a leak.

Carry a comprehensive tool kit,  and a spares kit such as hoses, belts, plastic steel, silicone and insulating tape. binding wire, one or two glow plugs, and such.

Keep all of the tools and tyre changing gear easily accessible, not buried under piles of bedding etc. Practice a wheel change sometime before you set off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: