Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

To be or not to be

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLHJ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:44    Post subject: To be or not to be Reply with quote

Hi everyone
I’ve reached that time of life where I want a car to tinker with
Seeing as I use a new shogun every day at work (yes one of those black and yellow ones).

I’ve been looking at a 1999-2006 shogun but 1 issues causes me dread

The diesel fuel pump

So can I ask how much of a problem is it. Is it a case of when not if.

How can you find a good one

How cheaply can you get one sorted at less value than the cars worth

If I must steer clear how good or bad is the petrol model for comparison

I won’t do a high mileage and reliability is the prime concern

Great forum by the way

When I’m allowed to post pictures I can put some up of my work cars if you want (not everybody’s cup of tea but I will if you want)

Thanks for any advice and help
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

SteveW-DID

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get an automatic,check very carefully for corrosion-wheel arches front and rear,under the air box and battery tray,rear sills.
Remove the plastic lining from the rt hand rear wheel arch and check the fuel filler pipes for corrosion.

They are very reliable cars. I have had 2, both done 200k before sale with no fuel pump issues. Buy one that has spent its life down south but away from the sea, and driven daily,they tend to have the best body. Automatics avoid the dual mass flywheel issues and the jumping out of 1st gear problem.

Dont buy one with a tow hitch if you can help it. Towing heavy trailers long distance with a hard right foot will crack cylinder heads. Ive cracked several doing this and I have a top notch cooling system with a custom 3 core copper RADS. Budget on getting the timing chain and guides replaced immediately after purchase (about 1K) and and getting the cambre adjusters done (again prob about 1k). If you can find one thats had this done already great, but still do the complete timing chain again unless you can verify exactly what was done with the garage concerned. They are very easy cars to work on if you are good with the spanners. Engine will come out the top unlike landrover rubbish, you just need an engine hoist. Fuel pumps are about 1.5k but often broken fuel pumps go with a rusty body.They are a great buy if you can work on them yourself. If you are going to have to pay someone else to do the work, forget it.
SLHJ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve W

I will certainly take all that into account.

As I drive these at work I know how reliable they are.

Just for comparison sake what about petrols versions?
alienidea
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 20:48    Post subject: and.... Reply with quote

Also check for brake disc guards all 4 corners as they will have rusted away  Laughing And the sidestep frame can and will rot /fill pipe to tank / 3 pipe piece breather to tank .Leave the plastic guard off as it,s a water trap.
Craig-SM

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely check the rear brake dust covers. I didn’t and need to replace them, they’re not cheap and part of handbrake mechanism
alienidea
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just changed all 4 and the rear one,s are a pain ..top tip don,t use the haynes  manual  it lie,s   Laughing .I  also changed out the shock /top balljiont/ drop link/ shoe,s .On the front strut /balljionts / disc guard /drop link/.So now no more feeling seasick as i,m driving  Laughing  Laughing .If you do renew the rear pin the the shoe,s to backplate BEFORE bolting the bearing carrier ..it far easier moving the carrier in to place than trying to replace the brake shoe bit,s and bobs.
SLHJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

Some good advice when I start looking

With all the problems with the fuel pump and the associated costs
Is the Petrol version better for reliability?

I will want to put some slight mods on it with wheels and tyres

Maybe a hidden winch

And some extra lighting.
alienidea
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

After owning a mk2 2.8 for over 10 years i honestly never looked at the petrol model ..both have pro,s and cons ...As far as the mk3 diesel the pump issues is a known fault like the rusty bit,s   Laughing .Keep inmind landcruiser/land rover etc all have issues.From what i,ve read on here the older more high milage mk3 get this problem normaly due to rust/rubber piping in the fuel ...mostly.I can,t speak for the petrol version but i guess there,s a reason why mits don,t have a mk4 petrol  Shocked .
Craig-SM

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

alienidea wrote:
I just changed all 4 and the rear one,s are a pain ..top tip don,t use the haynes  manual  it lie,s   Laughing .I  also changed out the shock /top balljiont/ drop link/ shoe,s .On the front strut /balljionts / disc guard /drop link/.So now no more feeling seasick as i,m driving  Laughing  Laughing .If you do renew the rear pin the the shoe,s to backplate BEFORE bolting the bearing carrier ..it far easier moving the carrier in to place than trying to replace the brake shoe bit,s and bobs.

If you wouldn’t mind doing a guide in a separate thread as you’ve recently done yours to myself and then there in the future . I have the new covers for the rear in the garage and will doing those at the same time as cutting and replacing camber bolts.
alienidea
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the info is already on here ..problems are rusty bolts and no room to get an impact in which does help  Laughing .Haven,t done the camber bolts as mine are still good .A  good selection of tools 2 trolley jack .I keep my trucks for a long time so all the work i do just keeps the MOT guy happy  Very Happy .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: