Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

troubleshooting Pajero 94

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rachl.10

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 18:04    Post subject: troubleshooting Pajero 94 Reply with quote

Hi all!! Bought a Pajero 1994 2.8 turbo diesel about 4 years ago. It's been great to me, I do all the small maintenance myself (and i'm very vigilant with it)  but I am in a learning process about mechanic so I do bring it in to garage when it's a bigger issue.
I'm in Canada but the only club page we have are for delica's mainly so I joined this one Smile

Wondering if someone has seen that issue before. My Paj has about 175 000 k's on it. I've had a transmission flushing about a year ago. I've never had any problems with 4x4 and all gears are shifting very smoothly.
It started in September this year but has not been a consistent issue at all.
When the car seems to shift into 4th gear (so about 80 km/h) the rpm will start fluctuating. regardless if I drive 80 or 100, it will fluctuate about 250-500 (example will fluctuate from 2000 to 2300 back and forth)
It seems to be worse if I go uphill but it also happens on flat.
I did a 600k trip two weeks ago and it went find for 450km and only started acting out the last 150km but again, very inconsistently. Will do it for a bit, then stop.
Seems to only happen when I'm in 4th gear or just before 3rd switched to 4th.
I've had a transmission mechanic plugged it in his computer and the A/T light did flash but he didn't get a clear answer on the issue.
I am gonna attempt to changed the fuel filter has a couple mechanic I've talked to seems to say that I could have caught very bad diesel.
(Diesel is very uncommon in some part of the province I live in, so it's sometimes hard to find a garage that has diesel fuel.)

Thats about all I got for info. Thanks for bearing with me. any leads would be so appreciated.
Please be kind, I am just learning  Embarassed
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 18:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you noticed if it is changing up and down between 3rd and 4th (which is called overdrive rather than 4th)

That would cause the rpm to change by about the amount you are getting.

Or maybe the torque converter is locking and unlocking for some reason.

Try switching the overdrive off and see if the rpm stays steady at 2000rpm and then 3000 rpm.
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try loosening the kickdown cable

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=68554
rachl.10

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok ya sorry, not used to explaining this in english. So the problem was felt in low speed this morning for the first time. (Also first very cold day this year .. -7)
When at high speed it was fluctuating but not enough to say that is was going up and down from 3rd to overdrive.
The problem and the intensity of it is very inconsistent. I put fuel in this morning and got a really good cold weather additive and it stoped fluctuating until a little later in the day.
When switching the overdrive off the rpm still does not stay steady and the kickdown cable has been checked.
Would you say that if I got debris or water from very low quality diesel, my fuel filter could be clogged and cause these symptoms to happen?
It's just from how inconsistent it is, I wonder if it could still be the torque converter?
Thank youuu
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

the kick down adjustment is quite variable and is a bit of trial and error to get it right.  the recommenced adjustment (34mm I think ) does  not always do it.
NDZ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my kickdown set way out of spec for where feels right to me but I'd image whatever the kickdown setting the rpm should be steady?
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

rachl.10 wrote:
Ok ya sorry, not used to explaining this in english. So the problem was felt in low speed this morning for the first time. (Also first very cold day this year .. -7)
When at high speed it was fluctuating but not enough to say that is was going up and down from 3rd to overdrive.
The problem and the intensity of it is very inconsistent. I put fuel in this morning and got a really good cold weather additive and it stoped fluctuating until a little later in the day.
When switching the overdrive off the rpm still does not stay steady and the kickdown cable has been checked.
Would you say that if I got debris or water from very low quality diesel, my fuel filter could be clogged and cause these symptoms to happen?
It's just from how inconsistent it is, I wonder if it could still be the torque converter?
Thank youuu

I think you need to try and establish whether it's the engine or the gearbox causing the issue. To do this, you could use the gear shift to lock it in 3rd and then drive at a constant accelerator pedal position. If the power delivery varies, it's most likely an engine issue like a fuel system problem.

There might be a clue in your statement "I put fuel in this morning and got a really good cold weather additive and it stopped fluctuating until a little later in the day". If for example there was a pinhole in the fuel pickup pipe in the tank, when the level drops the hole could be exposed and allow air into the fuel line.  

How cold is it now where you are? Could the fuel in the tank be waxing up?  

If you think it could be a gearbox issue, have you checked the level of the ATF after it was flushed? Do you know what specification of ATF was put in?  

Loads of possibilities, unfortunately.  It's a matter of deduction, guesswork, and elimination until you nail it.
rachl.10

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Simon_W! I did the gearbox test yesterday and it was still fluctuating.
The problem arises even if the fuel tank is completely full. I did put a little extra dose of the additive (not something that I'm gonna do repeatidly because too much can be like not enough) and I drove it around this morning and nothing. It drove perfectly smooth, started fine. put it in 4x4 and back to propulsion. nothing. Although, since it got plugged in a computer yesterday, I got the A/T light flashed 3 times. Just on and right back off.
I'm gonna attempt changing the fuel filter today and see how that helps or change anything.
The ATF level was checked and yes all fine and no signs of contaminations either. would have to confirm for the specs but they were the one recommended by the dealer I bought if from who only imports pajeros and delicas.
The issue happened when it was still warm outside so I doubt that the waxing of the fuel itself would be it. I would say that when it gets really cold, mid winter here, it could happen if I end up getting really bad quality diesel.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

rachl.10 wrote:
I did the gearbox test yesterday and it was still fluctuating.

Am I right in thinking that yours being a '94 has the fully mechanical fuel pump?  

To me, if it's fluctuating when held in gear then it points to it being an engine issue.  Make sure the fuel filter hasn't got an 'extra' seal fitted that's preventing the outer O-ring from sealing properly. Also check that the water separator at the base of the filter is tight and not letting air in.  

The filter should look like the one on the left, not on the right. The extra and redundant seal is held on by four claws.  

Make sure all the fuel hoses are sound and the fuel hose clips are tight.   If in doubt replace them all. I've had a pinhole in a fuel hose and it took me a long time to realise what was causing the problem.  It might be worth inserting a small clear plastic inline filter so that you can spot any air in the fuel system. Something like this:  

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: