Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

different strange eletrical problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huami

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 0:11    Post subject: different strange eletrical problems Reply with quote

Hi,

Couple weeks ago I bought Mitsubishi Shogun 2006 3.2 automatic. It was a true love from first sight and in spite of the problems that appeared on the next day after the purchase the car is still with me.
I will go straight to the point. What's not working:
- indicators lights along with washer wipers (although sometimes both works),
- the transmission will not engage drive if the low beam headlights are on (I need to first change gear to D and then turn lights on),
- lights inside the cab, only works one bulb on left doors,
- no display on LCD, radio plays CD but no buttons work, I can only change the volume,
- central locking (but works from inside after I start the engine),
- no power in lighters,
- sunroof window (but it was working on the first day when I bought the car, no idea why it stopped).

I am also wondering if that is OK that after I turn the ignition the daytime running lights and tail lights come on by itself. I would prefer to turn them on myself. Could it be that someone modified that so these lights turn on automatically? I noticed that the cables around fuses under the steering wheel look like someone did modified them for some reason. I also could not find the blue ETACS module that should be somewhere there AFAIK.
I checked all fuses under the bonnet and all are fine, but the fuses box looks like was almost burning close to one fuse. I still have not checked all fuses un the steering wheel as I could not get them out.

I am struggling to find car electrical in my area (Cambridge, UK) for this week so any help, directions, etc would be appreciated. I am not an expert, but I can do some basic checking with multi-meter.
I am also very close to MOT (next week!) so please please help if you can. I need to get at least the indicators lights (and wipers) working all the time. If you know a mechanic in my area that may help and have time this week/early next week also please let me know.

Regards,
Hubert
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 0:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

JPB

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's encouraging to find someone who actually wants to be able to turn DRLs off, but sadly, the whole point of these awful things is that they come up with the ignition switched on and are always there to dazzle unfortunate souls coming the other way on single lane local roads at night!
Great things in a world where HID and Cree-style LED lamps are on all newer cars, as we will all go around dazzling each other legally some day soon, not such good things if the car you drive has tungsten filament (410) lamps and if you need to stop to get your eyes retrained to the conditions after being passed by something with these damned awful things shining at you.

That said; the tail lamps aren't related to the DRLs and they should only come up with the lights switched on.
huami

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Today I found a workaround to fix problems with interior lamp, hazard lights when ignition is off, central locking and radio. I checked the voltage on the bulb under the driver doors and there was 0.6V. When I connected plus from the battery to the bulb it turned on but I also noticed that the interior light was on too. So I checked the radio, hazard lights and central locking, all was working as it should. I have found a cable that leads from the bulb under the doors to the fuse box under the steering wheel and connected it with the plus from the battery.
There must be still shortcut causing the current to go somewhere else then it should. I still can't engage D nor R while lights are on and the tail lights and DRL are on by itself in the P position.
The lights turn off when not in P position, so it must be something going on with the current for P position.
If it is in P position the lights are on. I start the engine, put in D, the dashboard is showing me D led, I turn on the lights then the P led on the dashboard comes on even though the transmission is in D.  That makes me thinking that the lights are sourced by power normally sourcing P led on the dashboard. It would explain why the P led comes on when I turn the lights on after engaging D. Does it make any sense? Where to look for such shortcut? Would it be somewhere around the fuse box under the steering wheel? I have already replaced ETACS ECU (tried two different apart from the one I had) and the fuse box itself. All was not making any difference.

Regards.
flashash87

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you got the work shop manual for it if so have you had a look at the wiring schematic. look for the light switch your turning on and follow that back checking each point with a multimeter. with you getting 0.6v reading id say thers a relay as they tend to restrict power when faulty, also some ports are on a time delay switch off witch uses a relay to do so. so if you fined the relay and replace it it should work
huami

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

I purchased the Haynes manual as is contains wiring diagrams hoping this will help me. So far I checked all the relays in the fuse boxes and all seems to work.
I also noticed that when the position or head lights are on while the engine is running, it will not stop after I turn the keys into OFF position or even when I remove the keys. The engine will run until I completely turn off the lights. I will try to do what was advised based on the wiring diagrams I have now.
Thanks for everyone's help so far. I will update you if I manage to fix the problem.

Regards,
Hubert
huami

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should the position lights, tail and plate lights come on when the ignition is ON and the gear stick is in P position even when the light switch is OFF? This is on 2006 automatic 3.2 diesel.
Simonfathead

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as i am aware, no the lights should be off with the exception of DRL's (if fitted) i  have a 2004 3.2 auto
huami

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

After couple months root cause of my problems found. Burnt cables in the big wiring loom that goes from left side under glove box to the fuse box on the right side under the steering wheel.
Do you know the cost of the new wiring loom roughly? Or it is better to not even know that price and look for a used one?

Thanks.
BRC971

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
Try this on-line dealer: https://www.megazip.net (based in Japan  - but fast delivery)
I have used them several times, very reliable and professional and p&p is not to expensive (at least to France) and best off all they only sell genuine parts, definitely worth a try, if it is to expensive for for a used one
best regards
huami

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the link to the site.
Eventually I managed to repair the burnt loom. I had to remove whole dash as the cables were burnt until heater. I spent 2-3 evenings and whole weekend but it was worth as all the issues are past now Smile.
I have replaced one cable that was fully burnt, red with black stripe. Seems like a power source for many electrical components. I put a thinker cable instead. Hopefully this won't happen again but I will have an eye on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: