QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

MK1 Rear transfer box oil seal leaking again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2.25diesel

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 18:34    Post subject: MK1 Rear transfer box oil seal leaking again Reply with quote

Back in 2016 I replaced the rear transfer box to rear prop shaft oil seal.

This had been dripping a bit since I bought the MK1 in 2014. I checked the box oil level every couple of months and it never dropped by any noticable level so I left it for a while.

The seal I bought from a well known supplier seemed to be fine until I recently noticed the cross member underneath the box was now covered in EP90 again. I did drain and refill the transfer box oil this summer as I was not sure when, if ever it had last been done.

I checked the sliding surface of the front of rear propshaft yoke when I replaced the seal and it was not pitted or scored. The seal seemed to keep the oil in fine until recently.

Are there possible reasons as to why it should start leaking again?

Thanks for any replies.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 18:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if the shaft is worn where the seal lip sits, it will drip, you really need to remove it and check for pitting and scoring, also, when you fitted the new seal did the spring come off the inside of the seal as this will reduce the pressure on the working face of the seal.
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check the breather is not blinded with dirt. If I recall, it's mounted on the top of the box.
2.25diesel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I hadn't thought of the breather. I doubt that my MK1 has seen much if any off-road use so would hope it wsn't blocked by dirt.

Looking at the parts diagrams, it looks like it is in an difficult place to get to. I will have to have a look in daylight this coming weekend.
2.25diesel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look earlier today to try and see if the breather was accessible. I was unable to even see it with an inspection mirror and torch. It may be possible to reach it from inside the vehicle by removing the surrounding trim and gear shift lever.

I also checked the oil level in the box. This had dropped to just below the level of the filler plug. It seems that the seal will need to be replaced.
2.25diesel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it, I fitted long grease nipples to both rear propshaft UJs in August of this year. This made it far easier to get enough grease into the UJs.

Could this cause enough unbalance in the shaft to cause a slight vibration which could have affected the seal? I would think it unlikely, but it may be possible.

The propshaft tube is otherwise not damaged or dented, so shouldn't be out of balance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: