Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Pajero mk2 1996 2.8 mechanic required

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mw6zanhampete

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:55    Post subject: Pajero mk2 1996 2.8 mechanic required Reply with quote

Hi all thanks for letting me join the club I'm in a bit of a pickle my 2.8 1996 shorty has developed the dreaded cylinder head crack problem head and the hrad gasket need replacing, and I'm getting the run around with my local garage I have aquired all the repair parts, new built up head, full engine gasket set, new cylinder bolts, and new exhaust manifold studs. Also have the hanes work shop manual. I need a good mechanic in the vale of glamorgan that can do the job and not piss me around any help would be greatly appreciated.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help you with a local mechanic, but I have found that garages are increasingly reluctant to let customers supply their own parts.  There's been a campaign in the motor trade for a while about this, and it's been fuelled by a story of a garage owner going to jail because defective owner-supplied parts were used and there was a subsequent fatality.  I can find nothing to substantiate this.  I've recently had to stop using an excellent mechanic because he insisted on supplying parts for £300 that I could acquire for £130.

Be absolutely certain that the radiator, water pump, viscous fan clutch and thermostat are in perfect working order. If you're in any doubt, replace these items for peace of mind. Cylinder heads and gaskets usually fail because of a cooling system problem that allows the head to overheat. The last thing you want is for the new head to fail a short time after fitment.

I hope that you can locate someone good to fit your new parts.
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a long shot, but you could try "DawnH" on here , she's in Newport Gwent  and just might know of someone that may help you.

Here's her details, it's worth a PM as you just never know ?

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=22331
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 14:46    Post subject: Re: Pajero mk2 1996 2.8 mechanic required Reply with quote

mw6zanhampete wrote:
I need a good mechanic in the vale of glamorgan that can do the job and not piss me around any help would be greatly appreciated.  

I maybe able to help but it wont be until after the new year until around the 14th Jan......

I dont usually do jobs of this size on a mobile basis unless there very close to my home in Essex due to the travel time as i like to take 2 days BUT i have friends who live near Caerphilly and i maybe able to use there place as a base but as i said it wont be until after the new year, if at all as ill need to check with them first......

If your interested email me your details (postcode etc) to mark@mobilemechanic.org and ill sort out a price for you, you cant pm me on here as you dont have enough posts yet  Sad

P.S. im an experienced Pajero mechanic my speciality being the 2.8td Very Happy  see more about me here www.mobilemechanic.org
mw6zanhampete

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply guys the actual problem was due to a sticking thermostat that's been replaced the water pump was replaced a few years back due to a leak and the rad is clear I have reached that magic milage of 132 thousand klm and it seems the 4m40 lump has got the cracks in the exhaust valves it's not contaminated the oil its just over pressurising the cooling system and blowing coolant out of the overflow outlet. Temp went up to 3 quarters on the dash but I stopped the engine not to cook it, been layed up since the 4th Sept while I got the parts sorted from milners I shall keep you all posted. Best regards
mw6zanhampete

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mark hope you are aok you did my diesel pump seal back in 2012 i don't know if you can remember it's pete in barry s wales with the white 1996 2.8 mk2 shorty funny thing is I was thinking of you but I lost your contact details and I'm no longer a member of the pajero crazy club since they went to face book I'm not a user of the service you can e mail me at mw6zan@yahoo.co.uk with your contact details and I will get back in touch, there is no hurry as the old dear has been layed up since Sept 4 th take care mate and have a super fine Xmas look forward to hearing from you.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
I can't help you with a local mechanic, but I have found that garages are increasingly reluctant to let customers supply their own parts.  There's been a campaign in the motor trade for a while about this, and it's been fuelled by a story of a garage owner going to jail because defective owner-supplied parts were used and there was a subsequent fatality.  I can find nothing to substantiate this.  I've recently had to stop using an excellent mechanic because he insisted on supplying parts for £300 that I could acquire for £130.

Be absolutely certain that the radiator, water pump, viscous fan clutch and thermostat are in perfect working order. If you're in any doubt, replace these items for peace of mind. Cylinder heads and gaskets usually fail because of a cooling system problem that allows the head to overheat. The last thing you want is for the new head to fail a short time after fitment.

This is correct, from memory the issue first reared its head nationally with Land Rover when a mechanic used customer supplied parts and fitted new discs and pads at the front of the vehicle and at the first heavy braking, both discs exploded as they were found to be fake parts and this left the mechanic in a dodgy situation, it came down to liability and his personal liability insurance taking a huge hit as one side claimed that he should have inspected the parts, while the other side said they were fakes and how could he test them other than a visual examination and without £££Millions worth of testing equipment. It came down to reasonableness.

If the mechanic used parts he supplied his insurers could have hit the suppliers of the parts on many fronts and fought his case against them for failing in their due diligence and allowing fake components which didn't meet the required standards to enter their supply chain, or failing to obtain regular quality control reports from the manufacturers which showed a paper trail of quality and standard compliance.

If this is the same case, and I emphasise IF, then JLR became involved and it was resolved without the man going to jail as these were supposed to be OE quality parts, and the story was embellished by the motor trade to encourage the trade to only buy from reputable suppliers which boosted their trade and added a mark up for the mechanic.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:

This is correct, from memory the issue first reared its head nationally with Land Rover when a mechanic used customer supplied parts and fitted new discs and pads at the front of the vehicle and at the first heavy braking, both discs exploded as they were found to be fake parts and this left the mechanic in a dodgy situation, it came down to liability and his personal liability insurance taking a huge hit as one side claimed that he should have inspected the parts, while the other side said they were fakes and how could he test them other than a visual examination and without £££Millions worth of testing equipment. It came down to reasonableness.

If the mechanic used parts he supplied his insurers could have hit the suppliers of the parts on many fronts and fought his case against them for failing in their due diligence and allowing fake components which didn't meet the required standards to enter their supply chain, or failing to obtain regular quality control reports from the manufacturers which showed a paper trail of quality and standard compliance.

If this is the same case, and I emphasise IF, then JLR became involved and it was resolved without the man going to jail as these were supposed to be OE quality parts, and the story was embellished by the motor trade to encourage the trade to only buy from reputable suppliers which boosted their trade and added a mark up for the mechanic.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your post Assassin. Yes, I suspect that is the case the mechanic was referring to. I was very sceptical that anyone would have gone to jail unless they had been proven grossly negligent. I offered either to provide a copy invoice with the parts to be supplied in their original packaging, or to allow him to obtain the parts and add a reasonable mark-up. He refused either option, insisting that he would only obtain them from his regular supplier.

I then did some research that revealed various groups promoting a 'no customer parts' policy.   My concern is that if a substantial proportion of the motor trade adopt this policy it could become increasingly difficult for those of use who run older vehicles and aren't always able to do the work ourselves.
mw6zanhampete

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Simon for the advice it does seem a bit silly for a garage not to fit new parts not supplied by them as it's only the labour charge involved. This head replacement would take approx 8 hours for a garage to do, now with a hourly garage labour rate of say 25 pounds that seems to be the going rate in the local garages around here  that would put the cost of repair at 200 pounds plus 20% vat. I have had local garages quoting from 500 to 650 for this repair it's seems to me to be a rip off one local garage called HINES initialy quoted me 300 pounds seems fair to me. They took the car for two hours had a phone call stating the price would be 500 and they needed a special tool that they wouldn't use again and they expected me to pay 150 bloody quid for the tool,that to me is a dam rip off. I have actually arranged a visit from Mark mobile mechanic via this great club ok it's going to cost a bit more than local prices but worth every penny in my opinion and his work is first class and he does have to travel from Essex. I have decided to put the repair on hold untill late March April and mark can do the job, thing is I would prefer to pay mark that extra cash rather than give money to our local garage rip off merchants in the vale of glamorgan.
NDZ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

mw6zanhampete wrote:
They took the car for two hours had a phone call stating the price would be 500 and they needed a special tool that they wouldn't use again and they expected me to pay 150 bloody quid for the tool,that to me is a dam rip off.

The unobtainium spanner? Or maybe the disposable torque wrench?  :D
Simon_W

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

mw6zanhampete wrote:
........ This head replacement would take approx 8 hours for a garage to do, now with a hourly garage labour rate of say 25 pounds that seems to be the going rate in the local garages around here   .....etc

£25 an hour seems very little to me. It's at least twice that in this area.  Special tool? The mind boggles.....  Rolling Eyes

Glad you've now arranged for Mark to do it and that you're able to wait.  He'll do an excellent job.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

mw6zanhampete wrote:
I have decided to put the repair on hold untill late March April and mark can do the job

Just so you know im not in the country from April 18th to the beginning of May......   glasses7
mw6zanhampete

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the help I have now arranged for mark to come fix my pride and joy in Jan 2019, as he has in fact worked on me paji back in 2012 pump seal and I have to be honest with all these rip off garages around I for one don't mind paying that bit extra for mark to do this work because I know it will be a first class quality job. Should be ok as long as we are not snowed in the vale .😊
NDZ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget your special tool Mark ;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: