Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Stumped by coolant leak on 2.5 93 Pajero!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danny998cc

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 13:19    Post subject: Stumped by coolant leak on 2.5 93 Pajero! Reply with quote

Good Morning fellow Mitzy owners, I've been very lucky in having to not post on here for a while. However, sadly that time has come to an end and I am currently losing the love a little with a fairly bad coolant leak that has got me a little stumped. I have tried to add an image attachment but without success, so if I go ahead and explain it I'm hoping there might be someone on here that could potentially point me in the right direction of what I need to repair? I'd really appreciate any advice given chaps!

If I look at the engine bay (face on so drivers side is on my right), the coolant leak is dripping to the right of the oil sump. I can't see any coolant leak from the front where I would find the pump, nor from the radiator. It seems to be to the right (drivers side) and above the oil sump somewhere. It doesn't leak until the engine has fired up and it drips a few times a second so is pretty quick.

Cheers all
Dan
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 13:19    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

towball

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 13:54    Post subject: Coolant leak Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a 2001 so not sure if it's exactly the same.

Have you checked the pipework from the thermostat housing that goes around the rear of the engine. I had a leak here caused by an O-ring failure. It is really difficult to see and the only way I could see the leak was by using a small engineers mirror and a torch. By doing this I could clearly see anti-freeze leaking.

Hope this helps

Jason
Danny998cc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason, thanks I’ll explore that first - it’ll be cheaper and easier than a water pump replacement!

Many thanks
Dan
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good place to start the search. The leak will occur as the engine heats up and coolant expands and pressurises the system, so begin your search then, with the engine running.
Danny998cc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Trekker, you hope it’ll be a pipe from the rad or something simple, but no. Thermostat first, pump 2nd Smile
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's dripping enough to be seen, it shouldn't be too difficult to locate the source. If you can't locate it,  adding a dye can be helpful:  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UV-Dye-Torch-Kit-Leak-Detection-Dye-Coolant-Cooling-Antifreeze-System-RLD2-/230723938073

If you have a UV source, the dye is available separately.
Danny998cc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome thanks Simon, will purchase that now Smile
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny998cc wrote:
Awesome thanks Simon, will purchase that now Smile

Even if space is limited, try and clean the suspect area as much as you can. The dye shows up best on clean metal. It will run off oil residue and then it's more difficult to pinpoint the source.
Danny998cc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tip, thanks. It is a little oily down there!
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 19:05    Post subject: Re: Stumped by coolant leak on 2.5 93 Pajero! Reply with quote

Danny998cc wrote:
Good Morning fellow Mitzy owners, I've been very lucky in having to not post on here for a while. However, sadly that time has come to an end and I am currently losing the love a little with a fairly bad coolant leak that has got me a little stumped. I have tried to add an image attachment but without success, so if I go ahead and explain it I'm hoping there might be someone on here that could potentially point me in the right direction of what I need to repair? I'd really appreciate any advice given chaps!

If I look at the engine bay (face on so drivers side is on my right), the coolant leak is dripping to the right of the oil sump. I can't see any coolant leak from the front where I would find the pump, nor from the radiator. It seems to be to the right (drivers side) and above the oil sump somewhere. It doesn't leak until the engine has fired up and it drips a few times a second so is pretty quick.

Cheers all
Dan

This sounds very much like what just happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't find any leakage from the front of the pump although I can say it was a little bit damp, where the leak ended up was in the lower rear bashplate , very hard to find it, probably just towards the bulkhead below the alternator.
Danny998cc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you find out exactly what the issue was? This is under the bashplate next to the oil sump on drivers side.
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny998cc wrote:
Did you find out exactly what the issue was? This is under the bashplate next to the oil sump on drivers side.

yes, it was the water pump.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: