QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

K&N air filters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Vehicle modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dreamerman

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 23:47    Post subject: K&N air filters Reply with quote

As much as K&N says oil do not come off their filters (even over oiling) there at least as many reports to the contrary and mucking up MAF sensors. I have used K&N air filters some 20+ years ago and mine were simple motors (Mitsu Mirage 1.6 and Merc W123 230E). I used to love washing them. But now I guess the situation is different with modern and sensitive motors. I have recently bought a new Pajero 3.2 DiD and considering a K&N filter. Interested to hear from members of their experiences in using this filter in their new motors.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 23:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Craig-SM

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve never had a problem with the MAF because of oil from K&N (cotton) or Pipercross (foam) filters. Be not used them on my 3.2 Shogun but have used them in BMW, VW and Ford diesels.
I do know that they can cause issues as I’d sorted out my brothers Skoda last month after he’d cleaned and re-oiled his pipercross filter. On removing the filter it was soaked with oil as he’d sprayed both sides  Shocked Removing the MAF sensor as cleaning it up in a jar of IPA left a nice oil slick on top. Even with so much oil on the sensor it still ran smooth but was sluggish.
I’ve only used paper filters in the Shogun as I’m not 100% sold on the benefits of K&N etc other than a more fruity induction noise and being reusable it doesn’t tend to give any real performance improvements over a quality paper filter. I also got annoyed at the time it took to dry after cleaning it before you could oil it again.
dreamerman

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm...strange. I posted something here a few hours ago but not here  Question
Anyways, I went ahead a bought on ebay K&N 33-2164 for under AU$80 delivered (a seller is having 20% off promo).
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although not Mitsubishi, my Subaru WRX has a very fussy MAF and no issue over 4+ years. Also recently the Touareg again some have had issues. So far a month in with a K and N panel filter. I did attempt to wipe off what looked like excess oil, but not much can off when cleaned prior to fitting.

When it comes to oiling, less is definitely more! However annual cleans I have found fine and enough.

Other than one piper X I fitted to the shotgun, all my filters have been K and N over 20+ years of driving. Always one of the first things I do to any car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Vehicle modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: