eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Oil leak!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shogunjake

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:37    Post subject: Oil leak! Reply with quote

I have a 2014 mk4 3.2 SG4 it only has 35k on the clock. I have had it for 2 years. Great truck love it can’t think of anything to replace it with, can’t afford a new shogun sport but even if I could it’s not got what my SG4 has. Anyway I have an oil leak, just noticed the marks on my drive. It’s not dirty black oil and it doesn’t smell like diesel. It’s dripping from the cross member with the rubber block suspension bush in it forward of the rear axle. I can’t see any oil on the drive shafts or rear diff. The fuel filter neck is dry. Something is leaking above the chassis member. There are a number of pipes above it.

Any ideas what it might be?

I have a bore scope at my work which I think I need to take a look but if anyone has had a similar situation it might save me some time. If it’s diff oil will it run out and cause damage? The leak isn’t that much yet but I like my 4 year old car to be in tip top condition. I had a 2011 outlander before the shogun and it was a fantastic car never a problem hence my alegence to the Mitsubishi brand.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be many things so begin at the beginning and check all your levels, engine oil is the first thing followed by the transmission oil, and then the front diff oil, also check the coolant level and the power steering fluid levels and see if any have dropped.

Clean the entire area with a good degreaser and let it dry, cover with talcum powder as this will show where the leak is, and remember that fluids can run backwards due to the airflow due to the vehicle moving.
shogunjake

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be dripping off a pipe clip that clips down a pipe that runs to the air conditioning unit in the rear right hand side bumper. The pipes are clean and dry with the exception of 25mm each side of this clip. To see this I needed to take the wheel off. I would take the clip off to check underneath it except I couldn’t get any tool in to do it why would an oily substance be leaking from an air con pipe though? I am going to take it my local Mitsubishi dealer for a diagnosis and a quote. If the pipe is fractured I could replace it with 8mm copper or just get the Mitsubishi guys to replace it with a spare part.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because refrigerant is a mixture of gas and oil, the gas does the cooling bit and the oil lubricates the system, it combines to work as a wet gas and if you have a leak at a clip it will leak and the gas bit evaporates and the oil remains as a drip or drips.

If you can get access to it a local air con repairer will be able to cut the damaged section out and replace it with a like for like pipe with compression fittings and regas the system for you.

Remember it is toxic stuff and you certainly don't want it on your skin and certainly not in your eyes, and you don't want to be breathing it in.
meatballs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

assassin wrote:
If you can get access to it a local air con repairer will be able to cut the damaged section out and replace it with a like for like pipe with compression fittings and regas the system for you.

I swear so many air con experts dont offer replacing part of the pipes Sad I bought a compression fitting and planning to fix my rear pipe at some point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: