Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

3.5 GDI - replacing fuel injector

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crp

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 20:46    Post subject: 3.5 GDI - replacing fuel injector Reply with quote

My 54 plate 3.5 Gdi is showing a code indicating a misfire on cylinder 2 (code po302).  Have tried changed out the coil pack with nil effect so now I'm thinking spark plug / injector ?

Fairly handy with the spanners but never tackled an injector swap, figure I've got to remove inlet manifold to get at it?

Any pointers would be great - whilst I'm at it will also replace the Micro filters
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 20:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peacebank

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spark plug is probably the more likely culprit, but either way it is inlet manifold off. It's not too bad to do, just remember where all the hoses go.

Injectors are the high pressure variety on the GDI, so not particularly cheap, so a good secondhand set is best, but hopefully not that.

Definitely worth doing the micro filters, they are a pain to get out though. I found the best method was run a screw in to them and then hit it with a slide hammer. Make sure you have fresh O rings for the fuel pipes too.
peacebank

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although reading again, cylinder number 2 I think you can get to without taking the inlet off, it is the other side that is a pain. But worth changing the full set anyway, fixed a misfire on mine.
Crp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it all stripped out, found the first micro filter & changed it - hats off to you guys that can change it without stripping out inlet manifold.  Where is the second one?  Will try and find that one tomorrow before I reassemble!

Plugs changed, waiting on injector for cylinder one.  In the meantime I will have a go at cleaning all the gunk on the inlet side

So all being well and injector arriving on time should have it all back together for the weekend

Will keep you posted
Keith-i

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the second filter is on the outlet from the HPFP but have not confirmed this myself yet. There might also be one on the top of each injector. Where did you get your injector from?
Crp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the first one on the top of the High pressure fuel pump, which some guys replace from above without stripping down.....oh to have small hands.

It's the second one I'm struggling to find....in a previous post there was mention of an S shaped pipe but I'm struggling to locate.

There's certainly no filters on each injector....

The injector is second hand from Mitzy Bitz....can't quite afford the £187 quoted by my local Mitsubishi dealership so fingers crossed a secondhand one will do the business once it arrives

Still have the throttle body and inlet manifold to clean which should keep me busy for an hour or two
Crp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the second one.......it's also on the top of the High pressure fuel pump right at the back (next to the bulkhead).

It's from there that the ' S ' shaped bit of metal pipe connects to the left hand side of the fuel rail.  Really am struggling to see how you can replace the second one without fully stripping down......

Unable to post pictures, PM me and I can email if interested

So both now replaced & continuing with cleaning pending delivery of injector later today
Keith-i

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, good to have it confirmed. I agree I can't see how you could release the 'S' link pipe without taking the intake manifold off.
Crp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it all back together and a satlfactory test run, certainly appears to have done the trick......replaced injector, micro filters, cleaned inlet manifold etc...

Many thanks to those that offered advice and a copy of the service manual which is first class.....

So on to the next job.....replacing rusted out side steps......should be great fun

Thanks again
Keith-i

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news. I've just pulled my first cylinder head off and removed the injectors. It certainly looks like there's micro filters in the top of each injector on mine.
Crp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just rechecked mine and you are correct there is the same Micro filter in each injector.....

So there's two in the high pressure fuel pump and also one on each separate injector.  

Food for thought for those just replacing Micro filters in the HPFP

Interestingly enough all my micro filters were clean but you can't tell until you replace them

Pleased in a way my local garage has just tested my old injector and found it has a very very poor spray so at least I have the cause of my misfire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: