QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

What's your charge voltage at idle?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith-i

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:42    Post subject: What's your charge voltage at idle? Reply with quote

I suspect I have an alternator problem of some sort on my gen3 3.5 GDI. Last year my battery was gradually failing and after a bit of investigation I deduced it was an alternator problem. I took the alternator out and my local auto-electrician diagnosed a faulty regulator. After refitting it along with a new battery I'm still not convinced it's right. My headlights and other items noticeably dim when the revs drop down below about 1,200 to 1,500. It would be helpful to know what sort of voltage your alternator puts out at idle.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vehicle alternator will charge at engine idle speed, producing around 13-14 Volt. That's one of an alternator's advantage over the old generators. Unless your engine idle speed of around 700-800 rpm is much lower, I think you still have a problem. Is your belt correctly tensioned ?
Crp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith, just checked my 2005 3.5 GDI and I have 14.2 v measured at the battery with the engine at idle (lights, heater radio etc turned off)

Hope that helps
Keith-i

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really helpful Crp, thanks for going to the trouble.
Keith-i

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

trekker wrote:
A vehicle alternator will charge at engine idle speed, producing around 13-14 Volt. That's one of an alternator's advantage over the old generators. Unless your engine idle speed of around 700-800 rpm is much lower, I think you still have a problem. Is your belt correctly tensioned ?

Idle is normal and belt is correctly tensioned. It's looking like an alternator issue still. Thanks for the input.
Missing Lincs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth a quick check of the charging connections, battery terminals etc especially the chassis end of the earth straps. Rust/corrosion is a great insulator.
Keith-i

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there is an alternator relay in the engine compartment relay box. There are 5 relays in there labelled A to E but I can't find a reference anywhere to what relay does what.
Crp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith,

Not sure you have them but have a look at these:

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Mitsubishi/Pajero-Montero/Manuals/

The service manual you want is the 2003 Montero Service Manual (Montero another name for shogun when sold in certain countries) .... A Fountain of information

Once again many thanks to another Forum member who sent them to me
Keith-i

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant, thanks. I'd forgotten about that link to the manuals.
Keith-i

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plot thickens! I've tracked down the elusive 'alternator relay' which isn't a relay at all but rather a resistor and diode in a black box that looks like a relay. According to all the online parts databases and wiring diagrams it should live in the junction block under the dashboard - only I don't have one in mine - just a gap! Could it be the UK Shogun doesn't need one or has mine been removed by a PO? I'll grap a photo later and mark the missing spot as it would be helpful to know if other Shogun's have it or not. On the fuse block under the steering column there are 4 relays on the main panel in a 2x2 grid and then 3 or 4 vertically to the left. The suspect relay is top right of the 2x2 group. It may not be the cause of the problem but it's another thing to check/resolve.
Keith-i

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's at position  V on this diagram Relay box
Keith-i

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small update. According to Mitsi, my car doesn't have one of these 'alternator relays' or at least the chassis specific parts list does not list it. Upon further research it looks like this relay thing is actually a failsafe device (resistor/diode) to ensure the alternator gets its excitation voltage at start up in the event that the dashboard light or associated wiring fails. Perhaps Mitsi think UK drivers look after their dashboard bulbs better!

Having done some very preliminary checks on my alternator it looks like it puts out a decent charging voltage of 14+ volts at idle immediately after startup but within a minute or so it drops down to around 12.5v. This will rise to 13 - 14 volts if revved over 1,500 rpm. Whether this is the alternator playing up as it warms up a little or something to do with the ECU controlling the output via the FR & G terminals is yet to be discovered.
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seems the built in voltage regulator is suspect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: