eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

MK1 Pajero 2.5td 4D56 won't start

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Starting / running issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fisher-Price

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

...determined not to give up on her, though it is getting rather frustrating!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 13:00    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Fisher-Price

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a thought, if anyone with superior mechanical knowledge than me can advise.
I previously replaced the fuel lines, from tank to inlet on lift pump, return from pump to tank and the shorter outlet from lift pump to injector pump, however, I hadn't realised until removing the intercooler that there is a further short one, it goes from the banjo bolt fitting on back of pump to the injector rail and looks a little worse for wear.
If this pipe was perished and porous could it inhibit fuel pressure and thus prevent my truck from starting? I'm guessing not, as it's probably part of the return.
Apologies if that's a totally ridiculous question, clutching at straws...I'm no mechanic, I just like to have a go where possible!
Simonfathead

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your getting air in the fuel system through a perished hose that could result in a non start, have you bled the fuel system recently to see if there is a lot of air in the system? You probably have but thought it may help i know how something that doesn't work can get very frustrating very quickly!
Fisher-Price

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simon, thanks for the reply.
I have indeed bled the system at the lift pump on several occasions, get bubbles initially then solid fuel. It most definitely gets frustrating, not gonna let it beat me though, it was my fault in the first place for leaving her stood so long!
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-read your initial and subsequent posts last night. Many elimination tests have reduced the possible causes of the engine failing to run. The diesel engine needs correctly fed fuel, timing of valves, preheat and compression to fire and run, and of course air.

Your post mentioned black soot popping from the tail pipe. Black soot indicates burned diesel fuel so I suggested a restriction in the air intake initially, so now suggest a quick test to settle the air supply question. Slack off the manifold end hose clip at the hose between the intercooler and inlet manifold, pull the hose off at the manifold end and tuck it to one side. Don't allow and rubbish to fall into the manifold, and try to start the engine (as you have many times).

Confirm you have previously slackened off the fuel lines at the injectors, and diesel squirts from all 4 as you crank the engine ?
Fisher-Price

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did as you said with regards to hose to manifold trekker and no difference.
I can confirm that I have cracked off each of the pipes to the injectors one at a time and seen what I'd describe as a pulsing squirt from each, not convinced it's enough but as I say, I'm no expert.
I have actually managed to start her today on several occasions for up to a minute or so at a time, then she dies.
I have accomplished this by firstly priming at the lift pump with the bleed screw open, then closing the bleed screw and continuing to pump for a while thereafter. When I stopped pumping after closing the bleed screw she wouldn't start, however, by pumping for maybe a minute or so after closing screw she starts and runs for a short while, then begins to run lumpy before cutting out.
Unorthodox I'm sure but it seems to work briefly and leads me to wonder whether it's a fuel pressure issue?
I'd guess I'm forcing pressure into the system, as the outlet hose from the lift pump becomes pretty hard. Maybe she's running whilst the forced pressure is in the system but cutting out as soon as this drops???
If so, would this suggest a defective pump or maybe a partial blockage somewhere in the pump or between there and the injectors???
I later removed the hose from the primer to the back of the IP and she blew out a jet of fuel with some force, not sure if this would confirm misplaced pressure or not???
Sorry guys and gals, lots of questions and not many answers!!!
Hugely appreciate all the advice.
Fisher-Price

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add, if I touch the throttle at all whilst she's running she immediately cuts out.
Seems like fuel starvation to me.
trekker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I  think we can now rule out the alternative causes and settle on a fuel supply to the pump, or the IP being faulty.

Can  you go back to running the engine on a container of diesel. if this fuel is clean you can run it without a filter, straight to the IP inlet connection. The pump has a suction impeller, so has the ability to draw fuel from such a set up, if the engine runs and responds well to this arrangement then the issue is air drawn into a number of places from the tank to the filter.

I think you are almost there.

dave
Fisher-Price

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Dave/trekker.
Great minds think alike, have actually tried bypassing the lift pump this morning, had no joy but batteries drained before I gave it a real good try. Will try again once they are charged, if no joy then I will have to assume it's the IP....ouch! Fingers crossed!!!
Regards, Wayne.
Fisher-Price

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing Dave, there's a bunch of plugs and leads in the vicinity of the IP and they appear to be quite heavily soiled in presumably oil. Could a bad contact on any of these cause an IP fault do you know please?
trekker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to collect two grandies from school and take them to their swimming coach, hence this late addition.

I'm not familiar with the wiring around the IP, I'll look in my manual this evening.

If the engine won't start even on it's dedicated fuel supply, or even if it does start, I'd add some diesel injector cleaner to that fuel. Given it ran well when parked, the suction pump in the IP could have some of it's sliding vanes stuck in their slides, their fit is precise. Injector cleaner can remove varnish and other residue, true also for the pump pistons.
Fisher-Price

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot thank you enough for the continued support Dave, amazing and very much appreciated.
Fisher-Price

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rooting around the IP earlier when I came across this large spade end connector, it's located on the right side of the IP (looking from front of car) and is to the rear and bottom of the pump. Looks like it may have previously had something connected to it but I've had a good look around and doesn't seem to be a plug unattached.
Any ideas anyone?
Tried posting a picture but seemingly unable to do so.
Fisher-Price

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think it may actually be a retaining clip for the big black plug on the nearby harness.
Fisher-Price

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all, sorry but I'm back. Got frustrated last time around, so locked her up and walked away for a few weeks. Last weekend I gave her a full valet, as you do when they're not even running! Lol.
Anyway, it's time to start trying to address the non-starting/fueling issue now. Before I go and throw money at injectors and replacing or overhauling the IP, I wondered if it was possible for a faulty lift pump to cause a Pajero to not start? I'm convinced it's a fuel pressure or lack of issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Starting / running issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: