Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Noise and vibration at ~ 2200 to 2300rpm (Shogun 2015)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Newbies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D4NTP

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 16:47    Post subject: Noise and vibration at ~ 2200 to 2300rpm (Shogun 2015) Reply with quote

Hi, after spending countless hours looking through all the forums and reviews of the 2015 ish Shogun/Paj as well as having the car in at 3 different Mitsubishi dealers I still can't convince myself, or be convinced, the amount of noise the car generates at this rpm is normal.
The car has a noticeable change in tone around 2200 to 2300 rpm (seems quiet either side of it) that seems to send a vibration through the cabin (you can feel it through the seat mounts) that then causes the dash area to suffer 'trim rattle', seemingly from the passenger side dash/floor area which is horrifically irritating. The last garage said it was perfectly normal and they had received complaints about it previously but it is just the noise they make due to the age/design/tech of the car. I've been out in 2 others and they are noisy but it doesn't seem as pronounced at this RPM.
Now i admit i am a bit picky about things but having a low frequency vibration, almost buzzing sound everytime you pass through this rpm band is really annoying.
I've done what i see as the normal stuff, empty the glove box (in fact i removed it to be sure), i've wiggled every bit of trim i can get a hand to to ensure it's not loose but nothing seems to make a difference. I've been underneath, checked the heat shields, the and rubber pads on the gearbox support, and all seems ok.
It seems to me like there is a genuine mechanical cause of the vibration (which may or may not be 'acceptable') and that the damping designed to mask it isn't working as it should. But, i could, or probably am wrong.

We've had several 4x4's from reasonably expensive to old and cheap, and none have made this level of noise. Surely Mitsubishi would have done something over the years to dampen it down!
I'd just really appreciate some feedback from people who have these to either agree with the garages and say 'yep, they do make a bit of an odd noise around that rpm' or point me in the direction of a fix as otherwise, even though we've owned it 2 months, it's got to go!

The cars a 2015 SG3, 25,000 miles, full history as I just had the ridiculously priced service done (where they found a rocker arm had not been fastened down).[/size]
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 16:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of which engine your model has, but if it has a balance belt as in the 2.5 engine, then I'd be looking at that timing first.
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check the crank pulley for wobble, looseness or partial delamination. Are the alternator and air con compressor firmly bolted down. Is this vibration the same in neutral and in any gear..?
D4NTP

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the 3.2 diesel.
I've been across the engine bay and there is nothing looking loose and nothing sounding noisy at idle. When revved there is a change in tone around the same RPM band but it doesn't send the vibration through the car. It seems directly related to the torque the engine/drivetrain (at that rpm) produces, so the more load/torque is applied the worse it is. ie, if you are travelling up a hill and happen to be at 2200 to 2300 rpm then the vibration/noise is more pronounced than if you are on a level road and even less noticeable going down hill.
My thoughts were the torque convertor but all comes back fine from the check Mitsubishi have done. Next was the rubber bushes/ shock absorbers on the chassis, but again all look ok.
If anyone on here has the gen4 it would be great to know if you detect a change in tone at around that rpm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Newbies All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: