Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Need you help on my Pajero Brakes problem please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eidikos

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 16:03    Post subject: Need you help on my Pajero Brakes problem please Reply with quote

Hi guys, I need the help of the Mk3 gurus in here!

I live in Cyprus and I have a Montero/Pajero mk3. Year 2000, 3.2 did lwb equipped with ABS.

About a week ago I took the car to my mechanic, (a very good friend of mine), to fit 25mm lift spacers on the car. The car sat there for 4 days.

When he was done we washed the engine.

The next morning as he was taking it on a test drive and for a wheel alignment he noticed that on hard braking both ABS + Brake lamp and the buzzer would sound. After further investigation he discovered that:

If you depress the brake pedal, while the ignition is ON, and you keep pushing down, the pedal slowly will bottom down, but it requires a considerable amount of power to do so.

Notes :

The HHB pump will start working as soon as you depress the pedal, with very little force.

If you keep pushing the pedal, and as it goes down the pump will work as well.

Some times if you press hard on the pedal, and as it goes down the ABS-BRAKE light will show together with the Buzzer. If you release the pedal the buzzer will stop and the lights will go out as soon as the pump stops.

If you depress the pedal (and the pumps starts), and keep it stable (as in you don't keep pushing) the pump will stop as well, and in this case the car brakes normal...

If you drive the car you will not notice something is wrong unless you depress the pedal really hard... I have driven the car since we found out about this problem for about 30 km (as the pajero is my main car) and with my normal driving I would not notice it if not for the last couple of days, when the brake pump works, which means that the pressure is building up, there is a squeaky noise until it stops working.

With the switch OFF, the pedal will be hard from the first press, and will NOT move down...

What we have done as per the manual checks:

If we empty the Accumulator by depressing the pedal with the switch OFF, when we turn the switch ON, the pump works for about 20 seconds.

We empty the pressure with the switch OFF, then depress the pedal(keep pressing) , then switch to ON, the pedal will bottom after 2-3 seconds.

What we check by ourselves:

As we changed the brake disks and pads 4 months ago and bled them according to the manual,
We re-bled the brakes again now to be sure there is no air in the system.

We checked all the brake lines for leaks

The brake fluid is at MAX at the reservoir

We drove the car in loose gravel and the ABS works.

The only thing that you could notice when driving is if you press the pedal really fast /hard then the Buzzer will sound with the 2 lights. But they will stop as soon as the pump stops...

What we think :

My mechanic (also my buddy) says that it may be the Accumulator or the master cylinder, or both...

He thinks that the warning lamps and the buzzer come on because of the low pressure sensor, that’s why when you depress the pedal, as soon as the pump builds the pressure back up and stops, the lights and the buzzer go out.

We have investigated where the squicking noise comes from and its from the single black pipe coming from the brake pump. I made a youtube video so you will understand what I mean about the noise and where it is coming from but the forum wont let me post it:(

Thank you for your time and sorry for the lengthy post.

Looking forward to hearing your comments
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 16:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

HBB and accumulator shot, was a recall so check and see if yours was recalled and had the work done under warranty.
ice-man
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

assassin wrote:
HBB and accumulator shot, was a recall so check and see if yours was recalled and had the work done under warranty.

Assassin is there a place to find out if a recall is called as mine is an import pajero as im having the same problems one min it is fine then 2 days later I get the abs light and brake light come on with a loud buzzer then once its on I stop the car and pump the brakes till it goes hard turn key on it all goes out for a few days or hours then back on again
assassin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, contact Mitsubishi head office directly and give them your vehicle details and they will do a check.

Many dealers can do it but wont as they want to charge you something; this seems false economy as they can do the recall work and charge Mitsubishi for it.
ice-man
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dealer would not touch mine, but I sorted mine by getting a new motor for the HDD unit removed the old one and found it full of carbon dust that was damp. removed it all and replaced the brushes from the motor I bought and refitted it, it's now been fine for the last 6 months still using the original motor and pump.....
SteveW-DID

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be master cylinder, check very carefully for leaks,all lines,banjo's and around pistons. Sounds like a leak except your fluid not going down. If def no leaks then replace HBB unit.
assassin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

ice-man wrote:
assassin wrote:

Assassin is there a place to find out if a recall is called as mine is an import pajero as im having the same problems one min it is fine then 2 days later I get the abs light and brake light come on with a loud buzzer then once its on I stop the car and pump the brakes till it goes hard turn key on it all goes out for a few days or hours then back on again

<customer.services@mitsubishi-cars.co.uk>

E-mail them and they are very helpful and knowledgeable.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a dedicated page here:

https://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.uk/owners/recall

Click the "check my car" button
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: