Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Led lights on a 2003 3.2 did

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Electrical issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simonfathead

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:55    Post subject: Led lights on a 2003 3.2 did Reply with quote

Hi this is getting a little bit annoying now, i have added lights in the upper (side) clusters, extra fog (i like them in pairs) and brake / side lights. The problem i have is the passenger side brake / side keeps blowing after a month or 2! So i thought i would try led's again. The fittings are BAY15D but i cannot get the led's to light up (halogen ones work fine).

Do i need CANBUS or load resistors (or both) ?

I have replaced the front side light with led's any they work fine  

Any help would be great and recommendations for bulbs even better
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simonfathead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

decided trial and error for the approach just ordered some standard ones for the high level brake lights (T20) some canbus ones for the raised cluster side/brake lights and some canbus and non canbus t20 / ba15s for the rear fogs and reverse lights. I need different sorts as one side (fog) is push fit T20 (factory fit) and the other is ba15s (my upgrade fit)
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody is following this slight update got a set of LEDs today

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380-Cob-Led-1157-Bay15d-P21w-21-5w-Car-Reverse-Back-brake-stop-Tail-Light-Bulbs/372396488110?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=641312126934&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

These are for my upper cluster (modded) brake / side lights. For what ever reason they don't work, well half work. Plugged them in (only fit one way) bay15d bulb. The side lights don't work but the brake side does! I have checked the bulbs and they work on a separate battery. So now will get the multi meter out and check to make sure the polarity is correct in the plugs.
bigalan

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to put some LED brake lights inside my upper red light on my 05 Shogun which have nothing in them, I purchased some LED boards from eBay and now wonder if I can simply wire them into the original brake lights?

The items I have are

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=123314497997&view=all&tid=2068519277002

Do you think this will work?
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant see the link you posted says looked but cant find it!

I have added mine using bay15d sockets which are meant for the dual filament bulbs, standard bulbs work, but leds in them not so good. I got the brake light to work just not the side light, when i get chance im going to check the wiring but i don't think its wrong as the brake light wouldn't work either.
There are 3 wires going into the socket  one earth and 2 positive feeds (brake and side) i thought i may have the side lights wiring backwards but that means the earth would be at the bottom and the side casing positive which would still work on the old style bulbs but not the leds, problem with this is the brake led works! and the bulb only fits in one way.

I'll post my findings when i get chance to look again
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

If yours is the same as mine the wiring should already be there behind the upper clusters. Mine had the connector in place. Earth, brake, side indicator fog and reverse.
bigalan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea, I have purchased a board of led bulbs approx 40mm x 30mm with a resistor to dull them as they are bright, soldered two wires on and intend to simply attach them to the original wiring to see if they work, if they do and don’t throw any lights up on the dash I will somehow mount them in the cluster.
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your only having brake lights then it should work i have never had any lights come on from the dash but i don't think its has any warning lights for the lights. The problem you will have is adding the matrix into the cluster. I filled down the lugs so it was flat then drilled a hole and filled in the slots for a twist bulb fitting. I don't know how you would fit a board that size into the cluster as you can't separate it very easily (glued i think). Unless you cut a hole that big (square) and have some sort of bracket to hold it in place!
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what i did to mine, there is a link in there also with photos of someone else doing the same job

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168654&highlight=
bigalan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some plastic glue, will che k they work then open put the back so the board fits in “somehow” and plastic glue it in, this stuff sticks like s**t to a blanket so hopefully it will hold.
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good just have to be careful pulling them apart as you may crack the lens ive read on here people have looked at doing that but decided its not worth the hassle, the only problem you will have after you have done the mod is that if the leds fail you will have to separate it all again.

On another note the brake /side light housing in that upper cluster does not have a reflector fitted but your led matrix board is a direct output so you shoulnd't really need it, i don't have it in mine and its still bright with the standard halogens.
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update got my bay15d leds the other day (the ones for the modded upper brake/side cluster) and had a slight problem the brake worked but not the side. Managed to fix it due to the led fitting into the socket 180 degrees out so changed over the pins in the socket (brake to side light etc) and now i have a fully working led in the upper cluster, just got to do the same on the other side.

This is what i added

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380-Cob-Led-1157-Bay15d-P21w-21-5w-Car-Reverse-Back-brake-stop-Tail-Light-Bulbs/372396488110?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=641312126934&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The red ones i got.

I did add these to my rear fog (one side is bau15s) but it came out orange (white shining through a red lens) so i'll need to get some red bulbs now

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1156-BA15S-P21W-33-SMD-LED-Car-Backup-Reverse-Rear-Light-Bulbs-White-Red-Amber/312497208164?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=611194328271&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Hope it helps anybody else trying this
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

another update I must have an earth because the passenger side blew the led lamp up and now its useless so back to standard halogens which are cheaper to replace than the leds as they keep blowing (drivers side is fine) and i did notice the brake lights only worked when the side lights were on even though there is a voltage there so i have given up now stick to standards lol
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update if anybody hasn't dropped off   sleepy1  replace the leds with standard ones and they havent blown yet refitted them with new 'o' seals as i forgot to add one  (the side that keeps blowing) to see if vibration is killing that one so time will tell.

Also fitted the reverse lights with leds now

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4X-T20-7440-7443-33SMD-LED-Canbus-Car-Brake-Reverse-DRL-Fog-Light-Lamp-White-30W/113039362640?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

got nice bright white reverse lights now, thought there were going to be too big but they fit in  snugly just got to wait till it gets dark to see if there better or worse.

I wish these trucks had the same light fittings T20 for reverse and fog and lower side/brake, T10 (or T15) for high level brake and ba15s for indicators and thats just for the rear! and not including my modded lights bau15d and ba15s.
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

couple of weeks still working, i did find the earth lead on the bulb was broken so I'm guessing that could of been what was causing the bulbs to keep blowing (intermittent contact)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Electrical issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: