2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

nipples !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaelpotter

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 14:33    Post subject: nipples ! Reply with quote

Hopefully the subject has caught yore attention......I'm in the middle of replacing my UJ on the propshaft, no problems there, but in one of the cups there is a threaded hole for a grease nipple,..again no problems, but do I keep the nipple in or replace with a grub screw? just wondering about balance....would a nipple knock the balance out?,....thanks  mike
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 14:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

JPB

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending upon how long the nipple is, it may catch between the yolks of each half of the joint as it rotates, I found this out the embarrassing way after believing it to be a good idea to leave the assembly nipples in place after changing all three joints on my Dolomite's propshaft.. Embarassed  If, however, the nipples are stubby ones that don't extend so far from the centre block, they're very unlikely to catch on the lugs of either yolk and can safely be left in place for ease of future maintenance.
The balance of the shaft is more likely to be off as a result of the new component being there as the tube itself - in the case of the longer nipple - is so thin walled by comparison that the material missing from the hole in the block tends to weigh more, bearing in mind that the grub screw is solid.  
The far more significant thing to consider when changing a joint is that the yoke of the new joint should line up with those of the joint at the other end of the section, not at 90 degrees to them. Get that wrong, and not only will the joint be less likely to balance correctly, it will also suffer from a rhythmic pulsing that leads to a rather nasty vibration felt through the car at certain speeds, usually the exact speed that the driver wants to travel at!

(I managed to write that lot without once chuckling away to myself about the name of these components or, for that matter, the use of the word "shaft"). Wink
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the original nipple as these fit between the yolks without catching and the original stubby nipple is easier to get a standard grease gun onto.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: