Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Interesting EGR findings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Si7

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 22:51    Post subject: Interesting EGR findings Reply with quote

This might be more suited to the EGR sub-section, but I'm not looking to block or remove it, just noticing a few things with it activated or not on the 2.8 engine. Having the luxury of a digital temp gauge I thought I'd just try deactivating the vacuum feed and see if there was any difference, with the stock gauge this has never been possible.

Things I've noticed :

It runs about 3 - 4 degrees C lower with the EGR deactivated, everywhere from flat running to a local long hill I climb most days. I'm very used to these routes and the normal temperatures I see.

It takes several minutes longer to reach the normal operating temperatures I see.

No difference in performance.

No smoke (never seen any smoke though)

Another thing I noticed when alternating between vac pipe on and off while messing under the bonnet was a definite engine note change. There's no vacuum at tickover that I could feel with a finger tip, but steady throttle about 1800RPM and the vacuum comes in, attaching the pipe to the vacuum actuator at this point quietens the engine intake side quite noticeably, (the EGR is now open) remove it and the more "diesel" like sound returns.

Final thing I noticed by accident, and would be interested in theories for this. Holding the throttle open with my right hand, and popping the vac pipe on and off with my left was quite awkward and I found myself leaning on the inlet pipe. By chance this allowed me to feel that detaching the vac pipe noticeably firms up the inlet pipe, there's clearly more boost with the EGR closed at the same RPM. Surprisingly the the engine does not change RPM in these two states, but the boost pressure increases. Any theories as to why? I can't decide if it's losing exhaust pressure to the turbine with the EGR open, or if it's the opposite and the manifold pressure is being lost down the exhaust through the open EGR? (rather defeats the point of it though)
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 22:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: