eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

2001 GDI running issues

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbeattie97

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:35    Post subject: 2001 GDI running issues Reply with quote

I bought a 2001 GDI Pajero SWB a few months ago and have been having issues with it ever since. I've taken it to a few local garages and none of them can find the issue, so I'm hoping someone on here might be able to point me in the right direction.

The car will start from cold and run without any issues, through the full rev range. I can continue to drive for as long as I want, but if I turn the car off and back on again, it won't rev past 3000rpm. Once the car has been left to fully cool down (overnight) then it goes back to normal again. Lately it has also started to stutter when in forth gear and driving around 40mph. If i give it a bit more throttle, then the issue goes away, but will return once I let the throttle off again. The fuel consumption seems very high at the moment, which leads me to believe that it could be an issue with the fuel system.

I've replaced the micro filters and the previous owner said that the fuel pump was recently replaced. I also replaced the exhaust from the cat back, with a SS system after the original one broke.

I've owned 2 of the previous generation Pajero's (including an Evolution) and they were both faultless. I would love to get this one running properly as they're cracking cars
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peacebank

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have to leave the car off for any length of time for it to trigger it, or is it literally turn it off and on again?

Trying to think of it could be heat soak related or not
sbeattie97

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peacebank,

The car reacts the same if I turn it off and straight back on or if I delay starting it. The only time it goes away is if I leave the car off until it's completely cool (i.e overnight)
hutchy

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

throttle body failure are common on these i think there is a video on youtube showing how to repair it..will see if i can find it..
sbeattie97

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hutchy, any ideas you have then I will give them a shot. This one seems to have me stumped.
hutchy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look it may be useful or it may not
mitsubishi throttle body
sbeattie97

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got a chance to have a look at the Pajero this weekend. I took the throttle body off to have a quick look and the springs seem to working in both directions. The valve itself was relatively clean and there didn't appear to be much build up. I shone a torch into the intake and it looks like there is more build up in there, but do you think that would cause what I'm seeing?

Thanks,

Scott
Keith-i

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3,000 rpm limit seems to remind me of something I read about fuel pressure problems. Have you checked for codes? You can bridge terminals 1 and 4 on the diagnostic socket and the dashboard lights flash a sequence to give you any logged faults. I wonder if when the engine is hot it causes a problem with the fuel supply or injection somehow. I had a similar but unrelated problem when my crankshaft sensor was failing. The car would be fine until it started to warm up then it would just die. There was a code logged in the ECU but no CEL came on.
hutchy

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

the build up in the manifold won,t help gdi,s are a pain for coking up it,s just a product of design as the engine breather returns oil residue in through the inlet plus with the egr system the hot gases mix with the oil residue and bake it onto the manifold you can clean this out but you need to remove the manifold and use braided steel wire in the end of a cordless drill which will clean most but not all of it out,the inlet valves will be the same,the only proven and best way to clean the valves is to have them blasted with crushed walnut shells Wink
sbeattie97

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get a friend to hook the Pajero up to the diagnostic computer and its showing loads of faults, which come straight back when reset. The following faults are showing

17 - Vehicle speed sensor
15 - Coolant temperature sensor
14 - Fuel temperature sensor
11 - APS 1
21H/33 - Undocumented code
24 - Idle switch 2
18 - Engine speed sensor backup system
00 - ECU Fail
33H/51 - Undocumented code
34H/52 - Undocumented code
43 - Timing Control Valve System
42 - Throttle valve solenoid 2
28 - T/M Shift SW
27 - APS 2
49 - Over boost
26 - Control sleeve position sensor
25 - TPS
48 - GE

When it was in the garage they removed the KMPH to MPH converter to see if it was throwing up any issues, but was the same without it. They removed the EGR valve and made up a blank but it was still the same. Was the same with the airflow off

If anyone has any ideas it would be great. Unfortunately the car is not worth a lot of money anymore, so I'm hesitant to spend a lot to fix it.
hutchy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolant temp sensor is the area i would start first,this is not the one for the gauge but for the ecu itself it is a common failure part which when goes wrong tends to stop you starting as it,s telling the ecu it,s to hot and needs to cool but it can also work the othe other way,so i would replace it first then go from there Wink
sbeattie97

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help again, Hutchy. Do you happen to have a part number for the sensor?
hutchy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

MD182467 or MD177572 google them you might find a patten part one cheaper than dealer prices
sbeattie97

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the new temp sensor installed today, topped up the coolant and took the car out for a run to get it up to temp and recharge the battery since its been sitting for a couple of months. Unfortunately when I turned off the car and started it again, the revs were stuck at 3000rpm again. Its like the car is hitting a limiter.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
hutchy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

how low was the battery (volts wise ) as it may need the throttle body resetting,or cleaning...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: