Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

1995 Auto box.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CleverTrefor

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:08    Post subject: 1995 Auto box. Reply with quote

Hi gents, I have 2.8 lwb td 1995 Pajero which has an auto box fault.
First thing in the morning when attempting to pull away from the kerb in a terraced street Paj will nearly not pull away like it has a puncture or the handbrake is on. Second attempt is an improvement and once moving all is ok accept as and when the gearbox appears to warm up I am finding that if I stop and pull away at lights or roundabout it doesn’t move immediately then the box gives a gentle bump and away we go. This has been happening over the past few days. Yesterday was a 90 mile round trip but prior to that very local trips of 5 miles or so. Have checked the ATF in the street but not on a level surface, will do so pm today. Please someone tell me it is not going the be expensive to repair as I have just paid out over £600 on the engine to stop oil leaks and gearbox out to replace rear crank seal, thanks in anticipation.
TJ
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:08    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

trekker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the autobox had an oil change recently ? If not, then the first step is to change the oil, using the correct grade and make, this is crucial.
CleverTrefor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 17:55    Post subject: 1995 Auto box Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for quick reply.
ATF fluid and filters/gauze changed about 2 years ago by my local Garage. The possibility is that he bought ATF from  local supplier but not the approved material. Mileage has not been high, about 4000 miles a year and not at high speed cos of the price of fuel. No more than 60mph.
I now take on board all other posts saying that the type of oil is important and how to drain. Now to get on with it.
Thank you all.
TJ.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first, have you checked the level using the correct method?

You run the vehicle until the transmission is at working temperature, stop the vehicle and leave the engine idling, put the foot brake on and put it into R for 10 seconds, then into N for 10 seconds, and then into D for 10 seconds and this primes all the circuits, with the engine idling in either N OR P you check the level using the dipstick and see if it is low, add a little at a time until it is up to level.

Is the fluid shot?
You can check the colour of the ATF and if it is going brown then it is on its way out and needs changing sooner than later, if it is black then it is shot and needs an immediate change.
CleverTrefor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 14:27    Post subject: Auto Gearbox Reply with quote

To trekker and assassin.
Thanks for all your help.Sorry for delays in replying.
After posting info to you guys I went to check the auto oil the conventional way. Engine cold from previous day. Didn’t look good on the dip stick. Fired up motor and drove to my local garage about a mile if that down the road.
Had to wait a little while for someone to come and check oil for me properly ie on level ground. Indication oil level low so CORRECT OIL WAS BROUGHT IN WITHIN 1/2 hour. While waiting for delivery garage owner told me to stick it on the ramp to check for any leaks. Unfortunately there were drips off the gearbox. Seems if the there is a seal giving up the ghost. Air became blue at this point as only 6 weeks previous the gearbox had to come out to replace the rear crank seal which had failed. That and work done on the engine set me back £600. In Labour.
We have put 2litres of correct oil in and now contemplating putting some gearbox oil leak sealer into the box to see if that will slow or stop leak.
The question is do I spend more money dropping box and fitting new seal and re installing, installing replacement second hand box or take Paj off the road completely and find another. I only paid £1500 for it three years ago, hence delay in replying your post.
TJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: