Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Loud turbo screaming sound..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikey208

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:51    Post subject: Loud turbo screaming sound.. Reply with quote

Hey guys I'm new here, an old Pajero fan however. Recently sold my 4d56 of 12 years... (first car) and bought a wicked 4m40 trophy.

Hear is the deal. Pajero 4m40 Manual 1998 'Trophy' Edition.

Turbo starts whistling when its warm day outside.. Its more like a loud screaming sound that can be heard even at 100kmish cruising speed. I've noticed it doesn't happen on cold days..? Sometimes its awfully loud and other times not so much, when its a cold day 5C for example it doesn't really happen at all..
Also recently it has been slightly overheating on long Motorway climbs at 100km hourish...not towing anything just trying to sustain 100km uphill like it has always usually done without any problem.. now attempting the same, it gets hot approaching the crest of the hill but then quickly goes back down once descending..

My question is.. What's up here, are these related problems or do both of them have there own thing going on?

Thank you
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say for definate but you could investigate the following symptoms..,

• Over boosting (potentially caused by the wastegate sticking ) ?
• Boost/air/vacuum leak – either on your engine intake, or your intercooler ?
• Split hoses ?
• Compressor wheel damage ?
mikey208

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heyyy
Thanks for the reply man and the Pajero wisdom.
I will be checking all of these things tomorrow, a pipe leak sounds better than a new turbo..
Could any of those you mentioned effect the over heating I also mentioned??
It literally never does it apart from only one particular motorway hill climb which is a triple lanner, 900m climb in elevation without respite and goes on for a good 15km or more It sails up in 5th gear all the way at 100kmh but recently the temp needle rises 3)4 of the way up upon reaching the crest of the great hill..

What are your thoughts on this?
Any advise is awesomely recieved.. thanks.
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikey208 wrote:
Heyyy
I will be checking all of these things tomorrow, a pipe leak sounds better than a new turbo..
It literally never does it apart from only one particular motorway hill climb which is a triple lanner, 900m climb in elevation without respite and goes on for a good 15km or more It sails up in 5th gear all the way at 100kmh but recently the temp needle rises 3)4 of the way up upon reaching the crest of the great hill..

I used to run a Range Rover, and when it was working hard ie, uphill, towing etc it would overheat, and once it was on the level it would cool down a little, problem was a clogged up radiator which I took off and had re-cored, other things to determine are the thermostat, engine cooling fan, etc. I would drain the radiator and flush it out and put new coolant in, might also be worth having the system pressure checked, you also have to consider head gasket although I hope it's not.
If you can't do these jobs yourself, and you know someone capable I'd ask them for their opinion. For starters though just flush the system and see how you go.
Good luck.
NDZ

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 4M40 getting to 3/4 on the factory temp needle is dangerous. Been there and got the T-shirt from a failing head gasket with boiled-over cooling system and having now fitted a digital coolant gauge can tell you there is a 30 deg tolerance on the dash needle that leaves it nearly useless for any early warning. If you have a gasket or head crack there's a chance its only showing when working hard so I'd recommend doing some fault finding rather than waiting to see what happens.

There's a dozen checks and tests that might prove useful - check coolant level in the rad neck when cold to see if you are perhaps losing coolant without noticing on the expansion tank, also check expansion hose is clear and the cap looks healthy. Look for any signs of coolant leak around the plumbing, do a bubble test, check the viscous fan is locking up properly. Does the heater blow hot as expected? If you start running hot again you might be able to cool down a little with the heater on full hot.

Beyond that you're into removing parts and at that point its worth just replacing the thermostat, possibly the water pump, flush the system and remove the radiator to check for cold spots. I locked the fan up, fitted a new 52mm rad, new pump, thermostat and digital gauge so I can see exactly how hard she's working and there's still times when its creeping up to 90 and the dash needle hasn't moved so don't ever rely on that thing if you've got concerns about overheating!
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenthepipe wrote:
mikey208 wrote:
Heyyy

I used to run a Range Rover, and when it was working hard ie, uphill, towing etc it would overheat, and once it was on the level it would cool down a little, problem was a clogged up radiator which I took off and had re-cored, other things to determine are the thermostat, engine cooling fan, etc. I would drain the radiator and flush it out and put new coolant in, might also be worth having the system pressure checked, you also have to consider head gasket although I hope it's not.
If you can't do these jobs yourself, and you know someone capable I'd ask them for their opinion. For starters though just flush the system and see how you go.
Good luck.

I used to like running a RR Ken, usually over them with a bulldozer.
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

assassin wrote:
kenthepipe wrote:
mikey208 wrote:
Heyyy

Good luck.

I used to like running a RR Ken, usually over them with a bulldozer.

Absolutely agree with you on that, I finally saw the light when I bought my fantastic Pajero 14 years ago  Wink
Si7

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:05    Post subject: Re: Loud turbo screaming sound.. Reply with quote

mikey208 wrote:

Turbo starts whistling when its warm day outside.. Its more like a loud screaming sound that can be heard even at 100kmish cruising speed. I've noticed it doesn't happen on cold days..? Sometimes its awfully loud and other times not so much, when its a cold day 5C for example it doesn't really happen at all..

It's not viscous fan related is it? Cold days it will mostly freewheel, hot days with hot under bonnet temperatures it will start to engage and take several horsepower to drive, belts OK? Also if there is an issue here temperature will rise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: